Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LoMax 3:1 Np205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AkMudr, Dec 20, 2005.

1. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Anyone here have any news on the LoMax 3:1 np205 stuff?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  2. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I did get an email a few weeks ago that said it would be out now.
    I haven´t heard of anyone who has ordered it though.

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Yeh there arent many places to check. there website shows and POR show nothin as of yet.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The Stak4x4 product has me more excited than a 3:1 205 does.....

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

That Stak case is pretty bad ass....We've got one in the shop at High Angle. Jesse is a dealer for them, they sent us one to use a show piece. It's dissasembled so you can get a look at and handle all the gears....Massive beef inside the thing.:eek1: The case itself is pretty damn big too.:bow:

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Just found out a buddy of mine has a LoMax 3:1 setup headin his way ....$1350. Which isnt bad when compared to an Atlas. Im pokin around at ideas of a lower crawl ratio aside from the doubler. With the prices Im seein I might as well go with a doubler, but with what I do 4:1 would be too much.

2700 for the Stak box :eek1: wow! Impressive, but wow.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

The Stak is cool....!

Recently I visited Sean and Tony @ their shop in El Paso. The design and manufacturing of the case is top notch! What is also cool is that they are working on other ratios - including some overdrive stuff.

Tony mentioned a 1:1, 2.4:1, and 3.8:1 that I am especially interested in for my brother's TJ.

Marv

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

3:1 in the 205, 2.xx:1 in the reduction box of the 203 combine the two with a doubler and I would have every ratio I wanted....... then again, sounds a lot like a Stak box :crazy:

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Except when you hold a tape measure to each of them..... :rolleyes:

The Stak box is WAY more compact than a traditional Doubler, and for people with short wheelbase trucks (ie. Blazers) saving on driveline length can really help with rear driveshaft angularity issues.

10. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

How much longer is a doubler than a stak box?

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, but if you want a shallower angle on your front shaft, a long case would be a good thing. :) I'm going doubler... if I ever want more gear I'm gonna do the WMS 3:1s in the range box. 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, 6:1 = bad azz. :thumb: Rear driveshaft angle isn't going to change much... I'm gonna run 56s out back so the rear end will be 4" further to the rear anyway.

j

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Stack is 13", seems like the doubler is about 6 or 7" longer. (Just checked ORD and it says "The overall length of the Doubler™ is now 21.5" for all versions", so that is 8.5" diff)

To me, the weight is the biggest win vs a 3:1/2:1 doubler. Shorter would actually hurt mine, but then, I have a 115" WB.

I would forget LoMax. They've been promissing that for *years*. And with the Stack, Atlas-4, and WMS 3:1, they've let their market slip away. Why finish now what they didn't finish when they would have owned the market?

13. jekbrown

true dat. I also like how the Stak comes standard with twin stick shifting capability and big outputs too. If someone was sitting around with a stock th400 version 203 and stock th350 version 205 and wanted as much beef as the stak had... they'd need to upgrade the 205s front output to 32 spline... machine the 205s input for the big bearing... swap in the big bearing/input shaft... modify the shift rails for twin sticking... and get some shifters. The Stak takes care of all that in its stock form. Its certainly less work.

j

14. BadDog

Heh, you just described exactly what I did to mine, except I used the 31 spline Ford input and built my own shifters. ;) But I've got about half into mine what a Stack costs, including the doubler kit. By the time I add a 3:1 WMS, I would have been cheaper, lighter, and better gearing with a Stak...

15. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

the stack with the OD ratios brings the sm465 and th400 well back into the market for very useful tranny's....I was going nv4500 but now I am going to just run a 205 for now behind my 465 and then upgrade to the stack.....

sm465=bulletproof tranny, and plain jane gear oil

16. jekbrown

yeah, the OD option is cool with stak. Not sure what ratio they are gonna offer... but a case that was 0.70:1, 2.7:1 and 5.xx:1 would be kick ass and definitely make the th400 a player in a rig that was going to see lots of street miles. People are always talking about putting lower gears in a np205.... has anyone actually thought about putting a higher-than-1:1 gear in there? :confused:

j

17. BadDog

Not possible. "High" is straight through, there is no "high gear" or place to put one.

18. jekbrown

probably why no one is doing it... lol! I assume since it is possible with the stak, that the case is quite a bit different in design...

j

19. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

The Stak bow would be way easier and probably cheaper than starting a doubler setup with 3:1 in the 205 and would be the way to go but length with the doubler shouldn't be that big a concern since a stock 203 measures 21.5" according to the measurements on stak's tech page

20. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

The Stak box is very comparable in size to a single 205. Maybe slightly larger...

Marv