Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Long bed vs Short bed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by casper, Jan 29, 2004.

1. casper

casper Registered Member

I have a 80' chevy long bed, will it perform as well as a short bed when climbing rocks and such. Just wandering if I should be trying to get a blazer, short bed pu, or something else instead of fixing up mine. Thought someone might have some insight.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well, for rocks you want a good departure angle... not sure if a longbed will do that for ya. Of course, you could always link/bob/flatbed the rear and be set. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

well I had a longbed truck and then sold it and bought a k5 and I am much happier with the shorter wheelbase vehicle. If you think that you will be seeing a lot of tight spaces i.e. trees or rocky trails you might be better off selling the longbed. I noticed right away that I had way fewer 3 point turns with my k5.

I also get highcentered less often now too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

If its offroad only get a shortbed or a K5, for me I like the extra room in the bed and somewhat smoother ride of the longbed. If its a DD (mine is too) and you dont haul as much a shortbed will do you better for maneuverability and better offroad. K5 of course no bed, but best maneuverability and probably better offroad. Kinda depends on how much you use the bed.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

SHORTBED!!!!!

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

If its a offroad rig longbed wheelbase can be an issue. A blazer or shortbed would be better. But a longbed is more useful as a truck for haulin stuff which is why mine is still around.

7. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

If you are going for a large lift, & huge tires, a long bed is better. It also comes in handy if you tow also.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I wanted to shorten from 131" WB to 106"WB, but I saw a video of someone (JP) drag 161" wheelbase over something 106" couldn't get over, and I decided to keep my WB.

There were other factors too, but that video was pretty hilarious

I like the stability too

I have the frame bobbed to the rear spring hangers and have a flatbed though, so that's a help

Also with the longer wheelbases, the rear shaft may be more vulnerable, but it won't be hard to setup or expensive

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

It all depends on how you plan to build it and how you plan to wheel it. Ever seen the video of willyswanteters 4Door Long Bed doing some rock climbing that a K5 tryed first? Wheel base can be your freind and if you like the mud you will like the wheelbase

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Longer wheelbases are better for mud because the length gives you better control and helps you to stay straighter. Long beds ride better, tow better, and haul more. Better rear driveline angle with a long bed too.

Short beds are better offroad in tight areas. I also think shortbeds look better.

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Get a shortbed. They are the lightest weight trucks of anything GM had to offer. They are approximately around 1500 lbs. lighter than a Blazer. With light weight comes more power with your desired engine. IMO, they look better, too. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, I don't think you'll want to do any rockcrawling with a longbox. Between the long wheelbase and the horrible departure angle you'll be disappointed.

The shortbox is by far the lightest fullsize, a strip model one can be had that weighed a mere 3600lbs. The lighest one I've ever seen was down to a "puny" 3200lbs on 33" TSLs. It had no interior, completely gutted emissions, and a LS1 under the hood.

I wanted a shortbox. I waited for over a year before I settled for my truck. It's very nice to have the 8' box though.

If I had a chance to build a daily-drivable trail vehicle, I'd have a K5, gut the interior and emissions, and scrap the top along with the rear seat. The idea would be to get it as light as a shortbox and have a box. A K5 is a bit of a porker in my opinion so they need to be lightened up.