Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Long Johns

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by broc944, Oct 11, 2006.

1. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I need some new long johns. If you do not know what they are, count yourself lucky.

Anyone have any suggestions on some type of space age undergarments that will keep my lanky @ss warm this winter?

There seems to be a wide variety of different types out there, and it is really hard to decide which is the best.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've always found, you get what you pay for... Good long johns will generally run $40 to 50 a set... I hate the cheapies, itch like crazy for me...

Brands, have no clue, sorry...

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Whatever you buy, get some suspenders to hold the bottoms up with. I go this every winter. All the bending and stooping, by the end of the day I have a serious case of plumbers butt:eek1: .

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

:haha: :haha: so true. thats why i hate those things.i tried sweats but they are worse.thicker but worse.some of my customers have been wearing leggings.thats right the ones your old lady wears.they say they don't bunch up like long johns.and you can layer them cuz they are tighter...:dunno: i'm thinkin aboot it.BUT i'll prolly get in an accident and get laughed at.:doah:

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just buy the cheap ones. they dont make me itch and there is really no use for a good set around here cause it doesnt really get that cold. unless you sit in a deer stand all day and thats the only time I need em.

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I have a set for snowboarding, I think they're Chillis or something like that.

7. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Polartec works awesome, wicks sweat away also.

8. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Polartech or Underarmor... best by far... pricey, but indispensable..

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

My Brother in law who is in the Air Force used to work in the U2 spy plane program. He got Me a couple sets of the long underwear that the pilots were due to the cold temps at high altitude. Those things work and I mean they work good. Only bad thing is they have a hole in the crotch for a catheter.

10. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

call me a dork but I wear flannel pajama pants undermy jeans in the winter at work, and then either a long john shirt or a underarmor shirt

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Can't go wrong with underarmor...might seem spendy for long underwear but the Red Wings I wear weren't cheap and I wouldn't trade them for any other boot.

12. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I got some Starter brand Underarmor, alot cheaper and I cant tell the difference

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'm partial to the old one piece 100% soft cotton flannel union suits with the trap door in the back. Aint Nothin finer when you have to squat in a outdoor crapper when its below 0 outside. I love mine they are warm and as soft as silk. The wife thinks my red ones they are kinda cute too:D
    [​IMG]

14. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Under armor or something similar by far. I bought the Bass Pro brand, Red Head I think, and they worked great. Drove an open cab tractor on the highway last winter into a north wind and didn't even think about the cold on the legs. And they were about 1/2 the price of the underarmor too.

15. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Cabelas has some nice long johns. Very thin and comfortable. Not that normal thermal material, they are kinda silky... Yet they keep you very warm.. And they are priced decently..

16. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Capilene if you want less bulk.

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

ANY better than none!..

I usually buy cheep ones from the "job lot" stores--I ruin them fairly fast ,so why spend a lot on them if they get oil or grease ground into them,or paint,etc..I try to get the "micro-weave" ones,they retain heat better than those with the large waffle patterns..

I wear long johns pretty much half the year here--in fact,I already have started using them since october began--its been 60 or more degrees during the days here,but at night its been dropping to 40 or less already--and most of my shop isn't exactly toasty,only where the wood stove is!..being a skinny guy sucks when its cold out--no fat,no insulation!.:doah:

I know a cop who does traffic details often..he swears nothing works better than an ordinary pair of womens panty hose or nylons,to keep you warm!--even better than long johns..--but he did admit it was highly embarrasing when his co-workers saw him putting them on one day in the locker room!..not sure I'd wear them,unless I was about to freeze to death in Alaska or something!..:rolleyes:

18. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Silk long johns are very warm, but silly priced.

19. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

20. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status