Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

long lasting tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Nov 26, 2003.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i will be lifting my truck sometime soon, and i need some opinions on tires. i drive close to 100 miles daily, and i need some 35" tires that will perform decently offroad (mainly mud) yet not wear out under say, 25,000 miles. ive heard that MT/Rs get good on-road mileage, and do pretty well in the mud. only problem is, theyre a little pricey. any ideas?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pretty much any tire made by Michelin seems to wear like iron, but they have a limited selection of sizes. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i will be lifting my truck sometime soon, and i need some opinions on tires. i drive close to 100 miles daily, and i need some 35" tires that will perform decently offroad (mainly mud) yet not wear out under say, 25,000 miles. ive heard that MT/Rs get good on-road mileage, and do pretty well in the mud. only problem is, theyre a little pricey. any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]I went with the 36" radial ground hawgs becouse they last with on road usage as well as are great in the mud. (In my opinion) Clicky

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

SSR's are good for 35,000 to 40,000 miles on a K5 with a "mild" driver. I had 20,000 on my old 33's and they weren't even half worn. Ground hawgs are good in mud and mileage. The bogger is the best for mud but wear faster than what most people would prefer. I have boggers on my K5 and use it daily but I don't mind them being loud and a little squirrly at times. I will probably get about 20K out of mine but I don't drive 200miles a day. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Im not sure but Buckshot Maxxis Mudders look like they would last a long time. The tires I run are Goodyear Workhorse Extra Grip Radials, I like them and think that they clean well also they have good road manors, at least inthe 31x10.5 form. The guy at the shop asked me if I wanted to look at 33s or 35s for fitment when i bought these, so im gonna guess they are still made. I beleive they are rated at 45,000 miles

6. thezentree

according to nat'l tire, the swamper TRXUS MT radial is sposed to wear better than the SSR. and it comes in the size i want (35x12.50x16.5). any input on these? the SSRs of the same size are about $40 more (SSR - $241, TRXUS - $207)

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

general grabber m/t?
    dunlop radial mud rover?

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well did you check tirerack.com for the MTR's, last I checked they were $162 for the 37" and $157 for the 35".
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

BFG M/Ts will last longer than MT/Rs and are cheaper and just as good in mud.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    BFG M/Ts will last longer than MT/Rs and are cheaper and just as good in mud.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem I had and all my buddies with the BFG MT's is the sidewall.
    otherwise they are great and really wear great.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I got 60,000 out of each of my last 2 sets of BFG all-terrains. I don't think they are very good in mud tho'. My next set will be BFG Mud Terrains.

12. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

my buddy has dunlop mud rover on his jeep.it is a lighter truck but he has 10000 miles on his and maybe 4/32's of tread gone so far.they will be my next tire.they have a good mud tread similar to the bfgmt.

13. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

36" TSL radials. Good for an easy 35,000 /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

all terrains are one of the best mileage performance

15. thezentree

i would go with A/Ts, but they suck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i have no use for mall terrains /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

BFG Mud Terrain T/A's wear like Iron. That would be a good choise for a long lasting tire. Just make shure you rotate em for longer life /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

From personel experiance MT/R's are far superior in all aspects mileage, balnce,sand , mud , Highway , just an all around better tire I use to swear bye BFG's for a DD but now I'd recommend MTR's to anyone from now on if I buy tires under 37" tall they will be good year MTR's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif