Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Long Q about engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazingItaly, Jul 19, 2002.

1. BlazingItaly

BlazingItaly Registered Member

Hi all.
    Fist of all I beg your pardon for my poor english.
    I'm about to rebuild my engine. It is a 350 with some million miles on that (just guessing, odometer broken for several years).
    At the moment all my tought are headed to which combination choose.
    I'm thinking about :
    Bore over .030 (if enough)
    About 9:1 Compression
    1.6 Roller rockers
    204/214 @50 cam
    Performer Intake
    Header
    Stock Head w/new valvetrain
    And of course another big Q is which part to buy (Which brand for this and which for that).
    I really do mind budget, once in Italy parts cost me almost 3 times the original price.

Any suggestions, advise or pros and cons will be greatly appriciated.

Luca

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

your english is better than most in this country lol : )

On overboring, my thought is, as little as necessary, preferably none. Usually you have to, but if it doesn't NEED it, don't. You don't gain enough performance to make it worthwhile unless you are racing it. You'll not notice the overbore alone in daily driving.

If you could somehow get them shipped to Italy for cheap, I'd suggest some Vortec heads and intake. Sure, they cost money, but how much is your head work going to cost? It definitely makes a difference where you are located, but perhaps you could order it all from the same company here? Stock heads that we deal with are pretty bad from a performance standpoint, and the Vortec heads should give you a 9.3 to 9.5:1 compression ratio, and with the superior combustion chambers, shoud allow you to run the lowest grade unleaded, which saves money on gas of course. Thats assuming 87 octane, but I bet you guys don't measure it that way right?

Pretty torquey cam, I like that choice myself : ) Its what I've selected for my motor. Gives up a lot of horsepower, but down low, its awesome.

Don't know about the 1.6 rockers, I might stick with 1.5 just for the torque. If you want more Horsepower, go with a more aggressive cam in my opinion.

As to brands, everyone has opinions. Most of the major us manufacturers have pretty good reputations, mainly comp cams and crane cams for valvetrain stuff, and of course Edelbrock. Headers, just make sure they are nice and thick, and are made exactly for your application.

Hope some of this helps, but I'm betting you get a lot of replies to this post, as everyone has a different opinion, and no one opinion is really going to be right or wrong.

More than likely you'll end up doing more research on what stuff will cost you, decide what you can afford, and make your decision based on that.

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

This kit from Northern Autoparts would be one of the better choices for quality and value. You can upgrade the kit by chosing different options. I would get a Comp cam, brass freeze plugs, Fel-Pro gaskets, true roller timing chain, and clevite bearings. A hardened oil pump shaft would be a good idea too. I think anymore options would not not be worth the money. I live right down the street from Northern Autoparts and had a large budget and didn't get all the options. If you keep the valve lift low enough, you could use the stock springs that come with Vortecs. Vortecs use a roller camshaft in their original application and can tolerate a little bit more lift than stock heads. Nothing HUGE though.

4. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

have you thought about buying a complete engine and have it shipped?? web page just a thought /forums/images/icons/cool.gif good luck

5. BlazingItaly

BlazingItaly Registered Member

Thanks for help me out on this.
    I took a look on Ebay for vortec heads, must be lucky to get cheap. About octane, Idon't know if the ratings are the same, but we run 95 or 99 octane, no other chance.
    About rocker I tought more ratio means more flow, not tought about torque loss.
    And yes, i'm considering to buy a new engine, just try to figure out which sloutions would be better (economy,reliable).
    If you have some more ideas, pls make me know.

Anyway, thanks again for your help

Luca

6. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

go with the complete engine. it's a easy job and you will not have to do all that B.S. with looking for parts. get a crate motor the will build it to your specifications. good luck. arivaderchie roma /forums/images/icons/grin.gif