Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

long rear view mirror

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, May 31, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I was at pep boys today and saw this big-ass rear view mirror. I think it was the wink five panel mirror or something. Anyway does anybody have one, it was 3 feet long and I was thinking that would screw up my vision through the windshield. Was it hard to install and is it worth it? Thanks for the input.

YEEE HAAWWW[​IMG]

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Hey blazer guy you really don't need it, there alright but tend to be more of a distraction than anything. What's best is to use all your mirrorrs then do a head check.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I got 2. One in my 79 and one in my 75. I love them! I don't run a passengerside outside mirror on my 75 and with the mirror as far right as you can go I can see just as well out that side maybe even better (been a while since I drove one without the Wink) in fact I would say better. It's not bad as far as seeing out. Only time it is a hassel is at a very few lights. You can just make out the mirror in my 75 at http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/
    2 possible things that you may have to contend with is the visor not fliping foward and depending on the year of your truck if it has the high back buckets that flip foward to get in the back seat it will hit the mirror. If you have the slide seat on the passenger side it won't be a problem.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I have used them allot and like Grim....I like 'em! You can see everything beside and behind you. When ya get to be an old fart, that constant head check wears ya out![​IMG] I used the dual windshield mount rather than the brackets that screw into the top. All my buddies harass me about the "look" but I like it.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I mostly need one because sometimes my dad drives the truck(he has severe arthritis and his spine is fused[​IMG]) and he can't turn his head to the right. I thought that the Wink would help him out when he drives[​IMG] so he could see to the right, because I usually tell him if there is a car in the right hand lane.

YEEE HAWWW[​IMG]

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well then he will like it alot! That is what it's original design was for. Racers picked up on them because it's hard to trun your head in a helmet. Minimal movement of the head and the blind spot to the right is almost gone completly. Get it he will like it. Now the stock mount does require holes to be drilled but like mike said there is a windsheild mount available and it doesn't cost all that much.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

7. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

...my rearview mirror fell off, Ive been driving it that way for about 4 months, oops...

Blazer: A hole in the air, surrounded by metal, into which one pours money

8. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i've used them in alomost all my vehicles, and i swear by them. there is no such thing as a blind spot with this on. i've got one on my truck, but it's a bit modified. i didn't like the look of a wide mirrror in half of the windshield, so i used two of them and made one long-assed mirror that runs the width of the truck.
    you need a total of seven panels, so get whatever mix you want. cut off the end piece of plastic from one, and the appropriate number of panels on the other. i used a dremel tool here at work.
    you need to make a channel for the mirrors to attach to, look for aluminum. whatever the length is (about 47", i think) by about 6". bend it (we have a bender at work, good luck.) lengthwise, into a gutter-looking contraption. drill some holes to align with the mounting holes in the back of the mirrors, and attach.
    the mounts can use the existing visor holes, with minor modification. the mirror might vibrate at certain speeds, the lighter material you use for the channel, the better it will work.
    i have an overhead console, so i use that as a rigid mount for the mirror.
    an added benifit is that i can put sitckers on the back of the mrror, and they're visible throught the windsheild. kinda different. the ck5 sticker has a place reserved, if i ever order the damn thing!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>