Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Long Style vs Short Style Water Pump...Need Help

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cleszkie, Apr 28, 2003.

1. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

What is the difference between the long style and short style water pumps for the SB 350? Is the difference in the impeller shaft length, pump housing width, or both. What is the cutoff year for the use of each? I need clarification because I went to replace my water pump on my 72 K5, got a remanned unit from a local parts store, put it on, and found that the belt pulley now sits about 1/2 belt width farther out from the engine (belt will not align around fan, crank and alt). The pump housing itself mounts with almost no clearance between the timing chain cover, just like the original. The pump housing itself looked identical as well. Unfortunately, I turned the original in for a core refund, so I cannot compare them again. Did I just get a POS remanned unit with an impeller shaft that was not properly installed, or did I get the wrong pump? Any info much appreciated.

2. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

newer units DO stick out farther, but they also require a different pulley to allign in the stock position. I just replaced my shorty with a new style that had come off of another truck and had the pulley on it already. Everything lined up great.

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

The housings are different, also, where the bottom hose comes out is different, at least on mine. The regular long style puts the bottom hose right into the framerail. The housing nose is considerable longer on a long style.

John

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

As others have said, basically the housing is longer. All truck V8s used short pumps through the 1972 model year. Parts suppliers are often confused, since all GM cars (except Corvette) switched to long pumps for the 1969 model year. It sounds like you got a short pump, but something is wrong. Maybe it is a Corvette pump - they are close to a short pump, but the pulley does sit about 1/2" farther away from the engine.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Look in your LMC catalog...
    They have a measurement for the length from the back of the pump to the front of the pully flange that you could check.