Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Long term effects of ground D60 caliper for 15" wheels...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Sep 16, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Long term effects of ground D60 caliper for 15\" wheels...

Well, it looks like I finally score a D60 for my truck...The ONLY concern I have is the fitment of 15" wheels on the D60...I KNOW people have ground the caliper and backing plate to fit the wheels, but has ANYBODY blow a caliper apart or had any ill effects of grinding them?I just don't want my calipers to bust a nut when I have to get on the brakes on the intersate...Any input would be greatly appreciated....

Chris

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Re: Long term effects of ground D60 caliper for 15\" wheels...

Use more offset and less grinding if it concerns you - I used 3.5" and minimal grinding - no ill effects at all.

3. fortcollinsram

The more I look at it the les I am woried...The main part the needs ground is the OUTSIDE of the caliper, while the piston sits inboard of the grinding are a good buit...I guess I was just looking for something to get nervous about...anyhoo...1-ton here I come... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Funny how that works, you spend all this time babying your 1/2 ton gear so it wont break... then you get 1 ton gear so you can push it even harder.. but start to worry about the cost of replacing it if it breaks! The irony! Congrats on the D60!

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

SWEET! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif where did you score the D60 at? How much? Did you ever decide on a gear ratio for you rig?

Harley

6. fortcollinsram

Dude in Idaho...It is a DRW but I got it for $700 to my door..I figue for that price I don't mind paying another 300 for SRW hubs... The 60 has 4.10s so I am gonna regear the 14 to match...I was gonna go 4.56 but I just drive my truck back and forth to Denver and up the the mountins to justify a 3000+ rpm cruise speed with a 454..It has TONS of balls even with 3.73 and 37's, I just want a BIT more control when wheeling...I think 4.10 will be perfect for me...I MAY be getting a honda for gettitng around town and too denver, In which case my truck will slowly become a trail rig...I have already started setting $$$ aside for the Detroit electrac..and I have the 35-spline stubs, just need the hubs ....

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Heh, I got a set of 4:10s for ya. Let me know. I'm in C/S. Maybe w can work something out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. fortcollinsram

sorry bro all ready bought a set of 4.10s and an install kit..thatnks for the offer though...

Chris