Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

long term MT/R opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Jul 19, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i need 285/75/16 tires, and MT/Rs look way cool. since this is a DD yukon, it doesnt need to have hardcore wicked awesome #1 off-road performance. and its down to BFG A/Ts and MT/Rs. anyway, what kinda highway wear are you MT/R guys getting? are they somewhat comparable to BFG A/Ts? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I doubt you will get the same milage as a BFG AT. However, I have 20 grand on mine and they are doing great! I think they are good compromise between street and offroad ability. I'm goin to buy another set when these are done, just another size up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Your not going to get the mileage out of MTR's that you will out of BFG AT's but the MTR will outperform the BFG in most all offroad situations. MTR's are softer compound then BFG's are so they wear faster. They will get good mileage if you keep them rotated and pressure right.

I have owned both the BFG AT's and MTR's. For a pure DD that sees mostly street go BFG AT's. If you go offroad get MTR's.

MTR's are the best tires I have owned sofar. I was a DIE HARD BFG guy and MTR's changed my mind. I still like my BFG AT's (I still own them, but they are on my Jeep) but the MTR's are awesome tires and will be on my K5 for years to come.

The only reason I will replace my 35" MTR's is if I go to 37" MTR's.

Added:....

I have had my 35's for about 6 months. 2 were new, 2 used. They have about 4K miles and they are wearing great. The 2 rear tires are wearing quickly but that is because I run a welded rear axle on the street a fair amount. The 2 used one have lost some tread but have worn equally and have lost a suitable amount of tread for the miles and offroad miles put on them.

Harley

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would go with BFG A/T's or M/T's. MT/R's are overrated IMHO.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

IMO BFG A/Ts have no place off road (sorry Marv).

Between the BFGs and the MT/Rs, I would go BFG unless you intend on hitting the rocks, in which case I'd go MT/Rs because they're much better suited to that duty.

I love my TSLs though, for a trailer queen, nothing can compare to the performance off road. I can't wait to get my 39.5s.

6. thezentree

so after calling around to get some prices, i realized that MT/Rs suck. because theyre close to $200 more per set than A/Ts./forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

tires are too damn expensive /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Since you are in NC I imagine you see mud when you go offroad correct? If so stay away from BFG AT's. They SUCK in the mud. The MTR's don't do particularly well but they out do the AT's. Might look into BFG MT's too. They do ok in the mud and get pretty decent street mileage.

Harley

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

for that size I think you should definatly look into the Wrangler AT/S's! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I got almost 60K miles out of my last set and I still have them with 3/16" of tread left. They got rotated about once a year and lasted me 4 years with 95% highway use. I know several people that use them for highway and play and I dont think it gets much better for an AT tire. The ONLY reason I got my MT/R's are because they are goodyears and the 35" AT/S's where discontinued the month after I got my lift /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

This is a 32x11.5x15 on skinny rallie rims at 58K miles (usually ran 36-38PSI)
    [​IMG]

There alot of tread to begin with and a lot to wear through.
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Hands down for a DD/mild offroader go with the BFG AT's. They work great in all weather conditions. They are not that bad in mud either for a all terrain tire. They are also great in the snow. I love my MT'R's except in the rain. For some reason after a couple thousand miles they just started to get shi$$y on wet roads. Even pulling out straight from a stop and not hard on the skinny they want to spin. $ for $ the AT's are a great tire that ware like iron and work well.

10. thezentree

i got a set of BFG A/Ts put on the truck today. i gotta say, the truck looks a million times better than it did with bald goodyear RT/S on it.

i love having a job /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif