Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Long Time No Post...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeff427, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Been a while since I have had a chance to post up, and I see there are a few new people, so I will post a pic of Mudzilla for those that have not seen it;
    [​IMG]
    This is Mudzilla crushing one car lengthwise /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Hey Jeff! It's good to see you back /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Man that truck is getting HUGE /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Theres a familiar looking truck!

Are you running a wider wheel/tire package now? For some reason i remember them looking narrower....

Any other new mods we can drool over?

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

good to see you back /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Looks the same to me...welcome home... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Welcome back I got some ? for you I may have to PM you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

It's been awhile, welcome back /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Howdy, brother!! When the heck are you gonna update your Lyons Designs website? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Theres a familiar looking truck!

Are you running a wider wheel/tire package now? For some reason i remember them looking narrower....

Any other new mods we can drool over?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same wheels and tires. They are 19.5" wide with a 24" hole in the middle.
    I think the newest mod is the new to us 425 Caddy motor that runs great, and the long travel 1410 front driveline from High Angle. We also now have full gauges and a tach, that we didn't have before. And a Redneck Ram from West Texas Offroad that solved a big steering issue for us. A big Thanks to Matt /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!

10. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Welcome back I got some ? for you I may have to PM you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ask away /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

11. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Howdy, brother!! When the heck are you gonna update your Lyons Designs website? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    LOL, I am working on a NEW website, at my own domain lyonsdesign.net so the site in my sig is receiving my TOTAL neglect /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

12. yellowK20

Thanks I was just wonderin about your suspension setup I.E. front springs I need lots of lift and more flex than what my 12" springs are giving me I'm gonna be upgrading to rockwells and 49" Iroks next spring when I move back to Minnesota /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Actually we are running 12" Superlift springs in the front and rear. They have been bracketed down from the frame to get around 18" in the front, and 24" in the rear. In the front we made brackets that move the front spring mounts down 6", and then added 6" extended shackles to the rear of the front springs, and the shackles really freed up the spring packs. We also added extended shackles to the rear springs along with the shackle flips, which also freed up the rear spring packs. We also used liberal amounts of dry graphite between each leaf spring, and as you can see with just those few simple mods we get some nice flex out of them;
    [​IMG]

14. yellowK20

well heres the plan rockwells (just got them both are brand new in crates with detroits and the fronts have lockouts but there in minnesota at my grandfathers house) the front axle will have 4" tall spring perches welded on as well as 3" longer shackles which and a 1" zero rate which should net me 6-1/2" over what I have now (should be more than enough to clear the 5" taller tires. The rear will have an Ord shackle flip as well as 5-1/2" blocks which shold give me about 18" total in the rear with my current 8" springs so 18" in the rear and 18-1/2" in the front . Full hydro steering . Stock Duece brakes . 20" Civialan Double Beadlocks. 49" Irok's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.Maybe a 2" bodylift /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif whadaya think good setup ???? what part of Michiagan are you in I'll be right across the lake from the U.P. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

15. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Sorry I have not replied sooner.

I would recommend NOT doing this;
    [ QUOTE ]
    4" tall spring perches welded on

[/ QUOTE ]
    or this;
    [ QUOTE ]
    as well as 5-1/2" blocks

[/ QUOTE ]
    I am speaking from experience here. This is a recipe for disaster, and for having to replace a $1200 set of springs.

Fabricate brackets on the frame to lower the spring mounts so you can mount the springs directly to the axles. It may be a bit more work, but it will save you so many hassles (and bent springs) that it is well worth it. This also will eliminate any need for suspension binding ladder bars. We have not had any problems with wheel hop at all, and have no ladder bars or link bars, which is a big part of why the suspension on Mudzilla works so well.

16. yellowK20

Okay good ideas i don't want to go any taller than I need so i'm gonna go 3" body lift extended shackles and a 1" zero rate the rear will get a shackle flip and keep the current 3" blocks . so I'll have an extra 5-1/2" in the front and 7-1/2" in the rear (which should put the back about 1" higher than the front which should clear the 5" taller tires /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Fabricating brackets down off the frame is really not too difficult. I will try to get some close up pics of what we did with Mudzilla so you can see how to do it if you would like.

18. yellowK20

Sure any pics would be great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm starting to get pretty excited to start this project what tranny and t-case do you run ???

19. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

Jeff427

What do you mean by dry graphite that you used on the springs? Is it just a graphite powder that you can get at a hardware store? I would like to try this on my 10" Superlift springs.

Thanks