Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Long tow with tow bar and no steering column

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Jun 13, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey y'all. I have to tow a K5 for about 50 miles with no steering column (probably no box either), so no way to lock the wheels.
    U-haul is refusing me a trailer or dolly, saying the vehicle is too heavy for either, but will do fine with a tow-bar (I neglected to mention lack of a column to them).
    How does a tow bar work? I know it clamps to the bumper, but how does the tow-ee steer, brake, etc? Is that entire load put on the tow-er/bar? To drag the vehicle around corners, and hold it during stops? Do the front wheels need to be locked?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated! The guy getting rid of the truck wants to do it ASAP (I do too).
    Thanks all!!

Seventy4, thanks for reminding me about this!!

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

50 miles is not a long tow...I just towed a K5 2500 miles with a tow bar. The tow bar afixes to the front of the towed vehicles and the steering geometry allows the towed vehicle to follow you through turns. Its the same as driving down the road and letting go of the steering wheel...it just tracks down the road without any input.
    The K5 I towed had a column but it was all screwed up...no big deal. If it had a good column I would have made sure it was unlocked.
    Two things to watch out for...number one is the sharper the turn the less well the towed vehicles steering geometry works. On a particularly tight freeway onramp I had the Blazer behind start to push my ass end out, but the pavement was slick and I took the turn a hair too fast. Number two is that unless you can lock the wheels straight do not attempt to back it up. The wheels on the towed vehicle will go full lock one way or the other and make yer life miserable.

Make sure you are towing with a properly rated tow-bar and a large enough tow vehicle.

For lights I unpluged the tail light plugs on the towed K5 and patched into the tail lights on the towing vehicle so all 4 tail lights worked together.

Have fun...I did!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's right! I forgot about tRusty watch 2001! I'm going to be towing with my K5, '88 with towing package.

You're right, after your haul, 50 miles is barely going next door! But I may be dragging through new york city, down the Long Island Expressway. With LI traffic and drivers, driving a solo K5 can be a challenge (partly due to the flood of excavations and exploders hauling groceries).

Cool. Thanks for the quick reply. I think I might be doing this haul tonight. That means I may be giving away a stripped k5 next weekend to whoever wants to haul it... I'll put up a post about it when it gets near...

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

If your too lazy to mess with the lights on the Blazer you are towing, just go down to the parts store and get some trailer lights, duct tape them to the truck being towed and use the trailer light connector from your truck to power them...just like a trailer.....

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Go to a camping or trailer store, such as Camping World. They have magnetic lights for just such a purpose. You may be able to rent the with the tow bar too. If it's just a one time deal, save some green by just turning on the hazzards on both trucks.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. maxq15

maxq15 Registered Member

One thing to consider, in addition to tRusty's comments, is tha at higher speeds with the fronts wheels not locked, they may tend to chatter (move side to side) this will feel like a heavy trailer that starts to pull your tailend back and forth. If you are going through city/suburbs it's not much of a problem but on the highway at 70 or so it gets a bit hairy. I pulled my first K5 about 330 miles with a towbar on a 94 Chevy 1500 and that was the only problem I had.

Good Luck!!!

Those who think money can't buy happiness don't know where to shop.

7. tRustyK5

As long as the front end on the towed vehicle is good there shouldn't be any problem on the freeway. I had mine up to 90 MPH in Oklahoma...there was a tornado starting to form near the highway so I figured it was time to haul ass![​IMG] Anyways, no shake, no shimmy, although I would recommend the speed limit when towing anything. I think the biggest concern with a vehicle attached to a tow bar is the lack of brakes on the towed vehicle.

Rene

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

tow bar will work ok with you. What are you pulling it with? that truck needs to be heavier ideally than your towed truck. I made the mistake of pulling my blazer 350 miles the last time I moved with a tow bar. Tow vehicle was a '96 F150. Blazer weighed more by itself, but I loaded it with about 1000 pounds of parts and stuff too. It rained, and that was one SCARY trip.

On another note, next time you talk to uhaul, if you really want the trailer, consider telling them you're towing a s10 blazer. Close enough that you could probably feign ignorance if insurance claims were ever a problem...may work may not, I'm just sick of everyone telling me what I can and cant do dang it. And taking all that information. Cant even buy batteries at radio shack without having to give them my name and phone number....oki'm through. nap time at the asylum.

<font color=red>Sherman, Tx
    "I'd Rather Be a Fencepost in Texas than the King of Tennessee" -Chris Hall
    TEXAS COUNTRY PRIDE
    </font color=red>

9. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Most tow dollies are only rated at 3,500 pounds. Put a 5K Blazer on that and your asking for trouble. One other thing to watch out for is your hitch. Make sure the hitch and the ball are rated for 5K. I can't tell you how many 2K tailer balls I've seen on 5K hitches, and check it for tightness every time you stop.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

10. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

To hell with UHaul - I towed my 86 K5 from Dallas to Key West on a UHaul auto transport and there was no problem (1,600 miles). The K5 is just on the recommended outside of the weight limit for a auto transport. Just go pick one up from the UHaul dealer, tell them you are towing a Yugo. My K5 rode like a dream on the back of the transport. UHaul has two versions of the transport - regular and heavy duty. Either will do. What they don't know wont kill them. Getting your K5 onto the transport with no column is another problem though.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Laketex, I'm with you on that one 100%! I already told them once, "uh, you know, a little blazer, y'know? it'll fit, it's just a little blazer". I may opt for the tow-bar though, for the budget and lack of power to get the truck on a trailer.

Thanks for the excellent advice all!
    For lights, I think I will try to splice something together to use the stock tailights on the tow-ee K5, if not, I will do the cheap trailer light thing stuck on the rear bumper. I'm bringing all my wiring tools.
    This K5 should be much lighter than mine (the tow-er), it has no eng/tranny/tc. The front axle is supposed to have real rough balljoints, but I don't plan to go over 50 or so with it (not like I can in this urban jungle).

Rene, you need to write the story out and publish it! CK5 members alone could make it a best seller!

Thanks for all the great info!

Ratch

12. tRustyK5

Sounds like your "tow-ee" will weigh about as much as mine did...mine also had no engine, although it did have a tranny t-case in it. I never scaled till I got back to Canada where it was mandatory. They made me scale my truck first (5400 lbs) and then the "Tow-ee" (3400 lbs). Then they made me pull over and disconnect[​IMG] It would seem 3000 lbs is the max for a towed vehicle with no brakes here. I towed that Blazer 2470 miles only to have it towed by a tow truck the last 10 miles home...
    It prolly would have been close enough without the T-case and some other loose parts, I just never gave it a thought.

Rene

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Too bad it wan't down hill, you coulda just coasted it. I'da broken out the tow strap and called a friend.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd