Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

long travel driveshaft ?s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazinzuk, Apr 8, 2005.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am having some driveshaft problems I need a longer slip yoke. My slip yoke is 6" right now and I have been told going longer than this will make the driveshaft so heavy it will wear out the splines if I drive it on the street. I would like 8" of travel in the dshaft to I don't have to worry about seperating it again. I need opionons on long travel shafts for the street.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

3. 1crzy88

1crzy88 1/2 ton status

I think he is reffering to the slip yoke in a 208 style T-case... right. :)

T

PS. i really don't know about your problem. I ran into the same thing...so i bought a np205... :laugh:

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Maybe? He has a '73 listed in his profile which I would guess has a 205. I don't think 6" or 8" either one is achievable in a slip yoke rear of a 208 because the spline shaft just isn't long enough.

5. dansblazer

dansblazer Registered Member

208 Slip Yoke

Hello, just some feed back concerning a 208 slip yoke and high angle driveshaft...Go to the wreking yard and look for a 72 cadilac drive shaft. The slipe yoke is 8 inch long and there is a CV attached.......excellent for angle..Yes it slip in the 208 Tcase without any problems.....
    Have tried it and works excellent and also has not destroyed the splines....
    anyway just something that I have learned

Regards Dan

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

From what I understand though the Caddy slipyokes are not splined all the way to the end of the slipyoke.

Harley

7. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

True. Jesse explains that on his site. Here's a Caddy shaft. You can see it's not splined all the way. Why bother?
    [​IMG]
    However, Blazinzuk still hasn't clarified front or rear?

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

front driveshaft guys front driveshaft There is alot of stuff I could do to make my current driveshaft work like change the angle of the shackle put limiting straps on it etc but I want to know if anyone running a long travel driveshaft on the front on a semi DD is wearing out the splines on the slip yoke. I have talked to most of the custom places and get "you will be fine no matter how long the slip yoke is" to " 6" of splines is about all you can run anything longer gets too heavy and wears stuff out really fast" so how about it do you guys think an 8" slip yoke on the front driveshaft ( np 203 PART TIME and Dana 60 front axle about 10" of lift) would wear out really fast or what?

9. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Being part-time t/c you'll only be in four wheel drive when wheeling & bad road conditions. As long as you limit your high speed usage it's not going to "wear out" too fast. Get 'R Done......