Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Long travel front shocks installed, question about clearance

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Here are some pics of the RS9000x shocks I have installed. They are the RS99036 that are 21.125 compressed and 36.125 fully extended. I am wondering whether I need to remove some material from the sides of the shock towers. It looks like there is plenty of clearance but if material needs to be removed from the sides of the shock tower, now is the time to do it.

Drivers side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

View from above, drivers side

[​IMG]

Passenger side

[​IMG]

view from above, passenger side

[​IMG]

2. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

No i think the red X fits in the box quite nicely. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Looks nice....

I suggest you flip the shocks over so that if there is any interference, it will only dent the outer skin of the shock and not gouge the $#%@ out of it...

[​IMG]

Then if it don't hit, you can flip them back over if you like. I like to run them upside down so that the knob don't get trashed /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Marv

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Sorry cant help you, looks like there is slightly less clearance at the front of the tower though esp on the pass side or it may be the angle of the photo. Im actually getting ready to do the same, I bought the Ford towers yesterday. How did you decide on shock length and where to position the tower up and down?

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Red X for me to YJack! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

edit..it works now...looking good and I would do what Marv is sugessting /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Yukon Jack

Jeff, I went through Rancho's application data and found the above shock was the longest they offered and after taking some measurements it looked like it would work well. It will give me more travel then I will be able to use I'm sure. Once I had the shocks and towers, I extended the shocks to their halfway point added a 1/2" extra, measured that distance and used that figure to position the towers. I went ahead and ground off the rivits and removed the stock shock attachment bracket from the frame and that turned out to be a good place to position the towers. It keeps them at a good angle and when I cut the inner fenders, the shock shouldn't interfere with anything.

7. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, Im doing the same upgrade this week. BTW very nice, clean job! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey YJack, I have seen some guys cut the lower part of the tower's sides off.
    [​IMG]
    See in this image were the body of the shock is close tothe sides of the tower. Some guys will cut thoes sides off at an angle to prevent any rubbing. Not the whole side but just like half and cut at an angle so the the bottom of the tower has no sides. Did that make any sense at all??heheheh
    Good Luck Man! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Some guys will cut thoes sides off at an angle to prevent any rubbing. Not the whole side but just like half and cut at an angle so the the bottom of the tower has no sides.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Like this:

[​IMG]

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya just like that. Did my words sound like that at all?hahahahahahahah
    YYYYYYEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I understood what your were talking about, but I thought I'd help out with a little visualization /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. Yukon Jack

Looks like a good idea, that and grinding the Ford name off the tower /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You might be unpleasantly surprised at how little clearance you end up with between the upper mount and the cab of the truck once you re-install it.

I noticed that you mounted as close to the shock "bump" as the frame would allow (which is also what I did) but the upper part of the tower will flex under loads and rub against the cab area if you're not careful. I had to do a little trimming on both the cab and the towers to get the clearance I needed....it was not something I noticed as a problem initially. But the "banging" around under my feet, caused me to take a fresh look.

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Hummm...You mean like this /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Its not touching but its close

[​IMG]

15. Yukon Jack

Greg and 88Silverado, thanks for the heads up on that, I thought I would avoid that potential problem by mounting them that far forward, but glad you all pointed out it still might be a problem. I am doing a 2" body lift to help out with clearance for the big block, I was hoping that would help give more clearance. Are either of you running any body lift? If so, then looks like I definitely need to watch this clearance issue.

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've got a 2" body lift....I also have pics of the shock mounts in my gallery link if you want to study them a bit more.

17. Yukon Jack

Those shots in the gallery really help in seeing the problem. Could you do me a favor and measure from the bottom of your tower to the top so I can see how long yours are - mine are right about 11". I have a set for the rear that I haven't cut so I can make a change now if I need to.

To bad that stock shock mount bump is so big, if the tower could be placed right there, looks like there would not be a clearance issue. I doubt the tower could be cut to accomodate that bump without loosing structural strength.