Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Long Travel Kit for 90's Blazer/Tahoe?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by k5james, Apr 10, 2004.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Long Travel Kit for 90\'s Blazer/Tahoe?

Hey guys I've got a 72 K5 that I'm in the process of restoring but I'm considering picking up a cheap mid 90's Blazer/Tahoe for a daily driver. Is there a long travel 4x4 Suspension availabel for these rigs? Are there certain things I should look out for? Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks
    James

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Long Travel Kit for 90\'s Blazer/Tahoe?

Long travel and GM IFS together in the same sentence is an oxymoron. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The IFS front end just won't flex much at all, no matter what you do to it. The only way to get serious flex is to convert it to a solid front axle. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

From what I understand once somebody actually does some R&D the IFS will put out some serious travel. The problem is that it's easier/cheaper for lift company's to do the drop down bracket than to actually do some R&D and improve the IFS. Look at all of those desert racing 4wd Toyotas. Now that the full size prerunner market is starting to take off I expect some fab shops to come around and offer some kits. I've heard Kartek is working on one for the GM IFS but we'll see.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The long travel kits that I've seen for the Toyotas use modified Porsche half shafts that cost in the neighborhood of $1,500 each! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif And that doesn't include the price of the other components. Not exactly the hot ticket for the occasional off roader. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I was checking out possible straight axle conversions for my 94 Sub, I came across a company that offered a kit for the later model Blazers. The company's name is Fabritech and I think they use a Cherokee front axle and a four link set-up that is a bolt-in. It looked pretty cool. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

the toyota long travel kit i looked at you could use t100 shafts as well as the porsche shafts..

7. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

A majority of Toyota long travel kits use the t100 shafts due to cost. I might have to check out that fabritech kit. Like I said hopefully the aftermarket will start to see that we don't just want a lift, we want some wheel travel also.

8. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Yea you want what i want for my ifs rig it needs more travel as you can see here i have it flexing ok. im trying to come up with ways to improve the flex. i already have taken out sway bar and have tbars minor tightened up to allow more travel but still not rub anything under full flex.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]