Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Long travel shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkulzNBonz, Feb 3, 2005.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Ok, I bought a pair of long travel shocks from laketex (at a real good price-thank you very much) to replace the 5012's I had in the rear of my '86. I think they're 5014's (too dark to tell right know). I finally got them mounted today, and they look as they may limit uptravel. My specs in the rear are 4" shackle flip on a 10 bolt. No body lift installed (yet I have a brand new 1", courtesy of laketex as well). My question is, are these too long for this lift. The 5012's were limiting my droop by a good 2 inches, this is why I went with the longer shocks. Thanks y'all.

John

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Check to see if your springs go negative (they probably will) when you flex out. If so then you need to lower or modify your bump stops so they don't go negative. This will kill the springs. How does this relate to your shock question... The bump stops may stop the suspension uptravel before your shocks bottom out. If they don't they adjust the bump stops so they do. As far as the down travel issue. You don't want the shocks to limit the suspension droop. It will be very hard on the shocks if they act as the suspension stops. So you need to limit downtravel so your shocks get the most travel they can without bottoming out.

Harley

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Right, I checked suspension droop with the shocks off a couple of weeks ago (swapping out a cratered ten bolt with another). At full droop, the new shocks still had about an inch or so of extension left, so I don't think I need limiting straps. The way they look installed though, I may need too lower the bumpstops. The springs are stock springs with the overloads. I can't recall them ever flexing negative, but they could have. My main concern is that the shocks will reach full compression (stuff) before the suspension does. Thanks Harley.

John