Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Longbed TBI Tank

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by Cricket, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Welp I finally had to break down and dump my saddle tank. I had used it with my TBI set-up for a little over a year. I went to a Blazer TBI tank and mounted it in the bed.

I did this for a few reasons. One day soon I will have sliders installed, there is no way to mount them on a longbed with saddle tanks blocking a direct mount to the frame. I did not want to mount a Blazer tank underneath the bed either, longbed trucks drag their tail ends on short steep transitions and having a tank behind the axle underneath is asking for trouble. Also didn't want to cut a big hole in the bed and sit it in front of the rear axle on the frame. So in the end I settled for a mount in the bed.

I used a blazer skid plate mounted on small square tube and bolted the assembly down. I used the stock tank straps and added a 31 gallon baffled TBI tank. Over the top I added a Suburban skid plate to give it a little protection. It came out pretty well so I thought I'd share it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  2. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN install man! Looks good.

I am still hunting a TBI tank for my junk... slow going... :(

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Check www.rockauto.com for some good deals. I paid 90 and change for a good quality, brand new tank delivered to my door.

They have some pretty good deals on the bulkier parts.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks great. Thank goodness that Burbs don't drag like PU's.:D

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good job my man but one bit of 'constructive critism'? That filler neck looks like it could get snagged easily on a tight trail. just a thought.:D

6. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

why not just mount the saddle tank in the bed? Is it too long? I`m thinking of doing this with my blazer when I convert it to a pickup, but I don`t know how long the tanks are.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Unless it's a "new" saddle tank ('88-up, and I'm not sure they are really even saddle tanks anymore) the reason I can see is that the 31 gallon K5 tank (or even 40 gallon burb one) is simply more fuel capacity, and a more compact package.

As to your other question, right or left hand. It matters for the fill neck, filler vent, and for the sender, the side the fuel line ends up on. The tank really wouldn't matter, just turn it the way you want it, but the sender I believe is "keyed" to only go in one direction. I suppose you could get around the sender position by adding a keyway in the sender.

8. NEK5

so which one would be easiest to use? I would like the filler nexk on the drivers side if possible....

9. dyeager535

I would have to say the K5 one, since jiminycricket already has a post about it. :)

Only issue again is the sender, but without having one in front of me, I *think* it would be as simple as cutting a groove in the retaining ring to rotate the sender around to the passenger side, with the fill being on the drivers side. (as long as the fill neck vent isn't on the sender, I can't remember, but now I think maybe it is. :()

10. NEK5

DOH! I meant which sender, RH or LH. I`m going with the other tank to save space, and I don`t mind having only 20 gallons.

11. NEK5

So, if I wanted to have the filler neck on the driverside,as well as the vent facing the driverside, which sender should I get, RH or LH?

12. dyeager535

Well, on a pickup tank, I don't think you get that option. IIRC they come off the rear of the tank, and are angled either rearward, or towards the side they are mounted. Driverside would have a fill in the rear as mounted, and if angled would be angled towards that side.

It depends if the fill line is angled towards the side. If not, it really wouldn't matter which one you used I suppose.

Again IIRC, the '73-87 trucks used a different size tank on one side. 16 and 20 gallons.

13. NEK5

hmm, its almost looking easier to just mount a blazer tank in the bed....

14. dyeager535

Yes, I guess since you aren't constrained on how to mount it, you just spin it around and you've got a driverside fill. :)

You could use a 25 gallon K5 tank if you wanted something less tall I suppose, and were using it as a trail only rig. Same size exterior, except the height. Personally if it's not a space issue, I think I'd go for the 40 gallon Sub tank!

15. NEK5

I think I may use the 25 gallon tank...i don`t mind the 6 less gallons...and I`d like to have as much space as possible. Can i use the same sending unit as my 31 gallon tank, or is it different?

16. dyeager535

Different. Height is what governs the sending unit difference for K5 tanks.

17. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

nicly done, i am looking for a suburban TBI tank myself, I have a blazer tank i may hav to settle with, but id love the larger tank, or maybe a TBI RV tank?:confused:

18. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

i am doing this in my orange truck, with a real roll bar/cage overtop of it in the bed, batteries will be in the back, both sides by tailgate..

thanks for this thread, cheers