Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Longer brake hose?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZooMad75, Mar 12, 2005.

1. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm in the middle of installing a lift on my 75 K5. I'm going up 4" but the brake hose relocation brackets are nothing but a cheesy band aid of a fix. I know there are longer brake lines out there that I could use in the sock location without moving the hard line. Before you mention the Steel braided ones, I know about them, $90 for the kit. I may have to do that, but I was wondering if anybody used longer stock style hoses from another application that still fits.

I've been poking around on NAPA's webside, stock K5 (for 75 at least) brake hose length is 19 3/4. Thats all the list for my K5. But in my search I came up with a 23" brake line off of a G20 Van that the fittings look right for $31 a side. Still not cheap, but it is NAPA, I could at least take the knowledge that this line will work in mine and get one from a cheaper store than Napa.

Anybody else do this or am I the only cheapskate taking this route. Like I said I may have to get the braided lines, because thats all I can find, but I would at least try to come out with a little less cash spent but still be safe and not using my brake lines as limiting straps.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Front brake hoses for a 1988 Chevy C1500 will fit and are about 6" longer.

3. ZooMad75

Really? Even for a 75? Everything I've looked up shows a change happened in 79 making them different on the later ones. Best thing I can do I guess is compare them.

Thanks for the lead!

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ahh. 75 will have 7/16" caliper bolts. Means drilling, or changing to the newer calipers from a 10 bolt truck.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I took mine to NAPA and they had som extensions that worked. They were about $20/side. I lost the P/N but they have DOT A/V 06/89 - 3MM -HI written on the side (at least I think that's what it says, they are a bit hard to read.) may help you with your NAPA search.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I made the 38872 brake hoses meant for a 10mm banjo bolt fit a 7/16" banjo bolt. Just had to shorten the banjo bolt about 1/8" and ream out the fitting on the end of the hose where the banjo bolt fits.

7. ZooMad75

Thanks guys! I knew somebody must have been through this before. Now I know what to shoot for. By the way, the lift is in and drives great! Just need longer brake hoses up front before I go and flex the front end.