Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Longer Break lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 8, 2002.

I am putting a 6" lift on my K5. can someone tell me what length I should get. I am getting the steel break hoses. I have a 14bff rear and a stock front end. Thank you for your help.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

so you will be running a 8 lug rear and a 6 lug front? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

every reputible manufacturer has 6" lift lines, call your fave parts people

2. I will be doing eather a 6 lug to 8 lug convertion or swaping the 1/2 ton 6lug to a 3/4 ton 8 lug front. What length do you suggest Zakk.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

well, if you are going for a long travel suspension for a all around rig like most of us, i would say the 13" lift ones /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I would rather have too much brakeline than not enuff and "accordian" the things out /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

i think Skyjacker has 13" lift length ones. braided steel, so they are more resistant to scuffing, etc.

4. cool thank you Zakk I will do that. Another quesition is with out a ramp or anything how can i judge my wheel travel? I mostly have sand dunes by me.

Thank you for your time with this.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

well, i am not really sure, you could judge it by your spring rates, shock length, etc.

MANY factors come into play when really getting into RTI scores and flex performance.

#1 question to the need of the very long rear brake lines is do you plan to do some sort of shackle flip?

6. I am putting 6" spring with out blocks in the front and 2" springs with ORD's shackle flip on the rear. I will be rumming 35" x 14.50" x 15" boggers.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

this is totally seperate, but if you are running dunes alot, a shackle flip might not be or you. The shackle flips and soft springs lend themselves to axlewrap, which is not a good thing for sand & Mud people.

If you get it in tellico and other rough spots, maybe tame it down a bit in the dunes, as i do, for superior overall performance.

and remeber: NEVER PUT BLOCKS IN THE FRONT! very dangerous and steer clear of people that have them on their rigs

8. No I go easy on the mud and dunes. I need to get the front diff fixed before I can go rock crawling. Thats why I am going to the flip.

Oh i dont run with any one with block in the front. I have seen them on Base and I just laught at them.

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

here is my uber-suspension vision:

6" soft front springs
    6" Shakle flip/spring combo (pick fabricator of your choice)
    X-over steering
    Longer shocks (F-150 towers in front, inboard rear)
    super-long brake lines
    Rear Detroit Locker in your 14BFF
    ARB locker in your D60 front

With that combo, you can dablle in about anything, IMHO /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif