Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Longer front shackles and caster

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Mastiff, May 17, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I see that the longer shackles increase caster and your web page lists this a "feature". How does this play with the shims I have in there that came with my Rancho lift kit? I'm kinda confused because on the one hand, Rancho purposely made caster worse to fix pinion angle with the lift, and on the other more caster is better for steering.

If I get the longer shackles, what's the best advice? Leave the shims and then increase the caster with the shackles? Or take the shims out too and go all out for good caster for steering?

2. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

If it were me, I'd use a shackle that's long enough not to bind on the frame and is beefy.
    Don't try to lift the front end by using a shackle.
    Only use as much shim as you need to for driveshaft vibes.
    Use a solid steel shim, if possible. The cast aluminum ones tend to spit out at the most inopportune times.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The above advice is pretty good. Whether the shackle length and shim do good or bad for you is really dictated by what you start with. I'd measure the castor angle first, then make sure the pinion works. With shorter lifts, it's usually not a problem to get the two together. You will probably want somewhere around 6 degrees of castor angle and as long as the pinion doesn't bind, you're OK.

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How do you measure caster on a K5, I have my "angle-o-meter", but I can't see a good flat spot to put it against that seems to align with the ball joints.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If we machined the knuckle for crossover or if you have a D60 you can slap the angle finder on the top of the arm. If not, I'm not sure what to tell you. On a D60 you can find a flat spot on the top of the knuckle or get a rough idea putting the angle finder on the bolt heads that hold the sheet steel cap on the RH side. On a D44....? Maybe the machined spot on the bottom of the knuckle? If you can get to it.