Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

longer front shackles?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by bigjblazer, May 4, 2002.

1. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

Do you make any longer front shackles that would give me about an inch of lift? I got a four inch suspension lift instead of 6, now im kicking myself. Thanks

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

The ORD HD front shackles are only 1/2" longer than stock. Really long shackles are not a good way to lift the front of your truck. The longer your front shackles are, the more your pinion points down. Try the ORD shackles along with the zero rate add a leaf. You could also do like I did and space down your front spring hangers one inch.

3. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

AND THE MORE YOU WILL SWAY ON THE ROAD!!! STAY SAFE, GET SPRINGS, OR BODY OR JUST LIVE WITH IT!! LONGER IS ILLEGAL FOR HIGHWAY ANYWAYS..

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The big problem with longer shackles is that the usual purpose is for more lift. But, to lift a truck with the shackles, you have to use a shackle that's twice as long as the lift you want, for example if you want 1" of lift your shackle has to be 2" longer. So you get more negatives from the length of the shackle than you get positives from having the lift.
    The GM shackles are a bit hard on bushings as it is, so we really prefer not to stretch them too far. I've run a custom set that was 1" longer than stock with no problems.
    Try a 1" body lift and see if that helps, depending on what you're after, that may be enough. I really like a K5 with a 4" suspension and a 1" body with some 35's or 36's. They work well and are still very street usable since the driveline angles are typically pretty good.