Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Longer front springs - what application would work if...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've been trying to come up with a way to run longer front springs without a ton of fab work. What I've come up with is to move the front spring hanger forward to use the two bolt holes that are farther forward on the part that's riveted to the frame, for about another 2 inches of length. Hopefully that's clear... The spring hanger is 2 peices, the upper part is riveted to the frame and has 6 holes that face the ground, the lower part is riveted to the first part, using 4 of 6 holes; the 2 remaining holes being farther forward on the upper part that's riveted to the frame. If the lower part that the spring actually bolts to was moved forward to utilize the holes towards the front, longer springs could be used... On the rear of the spring, I would use a longer shackle so it can angle back a bit more, hopefully to gain another couple of inches and get a better shackle angle for flex in the process. If this would work it would result in a total of a 4 inch longer spring that can be used.

The problem is that I don't know what spring might work if I do this. I haven't gotten far enough into this to actually go measure the front springs, it's still just a vague idea in my head. I seem to remember that the front springs are 48" long, so a 52" rear spring would do the trick if that's the case, but I'm afraid that they would be way too soft in the front with all the extra weight. Has anyone done this, and if so, what springs were used? </font>

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I believe 55willy put rear 52's up front, hopefully he will chime in or pm him /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

a freind of mine and I toyed with doing this. I think if you used some of the stiffer rear spring from like superlift or somehting like that you could make it work. I think a 4" rear spring would end up netting you close to 10" of lift. Not sure here though. It's very doable. I guess you could try with a set and then you would have a basis to work from and get some custom springs made up. As far as the rear of the spring If you moved the bushing holder that is riveted to the frame to use the front holes of the peice and the rear holes in the frame and drill two new holes you could be pretty close. I understand your front scenario with the empty holes. Give it hell and let us know what you discover.

4. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I hit the front of my spring now. If you move if=t forward keep in mind you approach angle will be worse. I had the same thoughts about a yaer ago and decided it wasn't worth the work. Too much flex is a bad thing. I have actually taken some away with different springs and longer bumpstops. Works alot better than before. Just my .2

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I hit the front of my spring now. If you move if=t forward keep in mind you approach angle will be worse. I had the same thoughts about a yaer ago and decided it wasn't worth the work. Too much flex is a bad thing. I have actually taken some away with different springs and longer bumpstops. Works alot better than before. Just my .2

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Too much flex can be bad, but I don't think that the front of these trucks is really capable of too much flex in the stock configuration, at least not with springs that are stable enough on the street that you can still drive to the trails. I'm not sure what size tires you have, but with the front axle pushed forward and 42s I don't think that the front hangers are going to drag too much, and if they do on occasion then I can deal with it. I dunno, this is just an idea right now...

I have some rear 6" lift springs on my truck now that I'm going to be swapping for a shackle flip eventually, maybe I can remove some leaves from them to reduce the lift and see if I can get them to work up front. Probably they would wear out pretty fast, but at least I have them on hand to mess with.</font>

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I had 52's up front. all I did was flip brackets side to side. But I went to a 57" ford spring instead. I just lowered the mounts about 2" and made a 7" shackle to fit the 57's. the 52's fit with only doing the bracket movement. I figured if I was gonna be making shackles and mounts I might as will do the fords now,LOL.

-Jeremy

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The Class 8 Sportsman that I was briefly around used the stock front hangers in the stock location. The shackle pivots were moved back about 8"-10" and National built some custom springs for it.

8. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I got a custom set of springs made by Alcan that are 2" longer eye to eye(49" eye to eye) and move the axle forward 2". I reversed the hanger's up front and it moves the front spring eye about 2.125" forward. The shackle also sit's straight up &amp; down now as well. Be carefull if you decide to use a set of stock 52" rear spings up front, those rear springs tend to crack. Also, if you put a really long shackle in to the setup it will allow the front to have a disgusting amount of droop, I would look at adding some type of limiting strap to the setup to control the droop.
    [​IMG]

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Cool looking setup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Does anyone happen to know what length the old Ford highboy front springs are?

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> How much lift did the stock 52s give you? How about the 57s? Are they so soft that they are scary on the street? I need details! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

11. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    52's and 57's should give the front approx 4-4.5" over stock. You have to take into account if your run a BB or SB.

No idea on road worthyness, but I'm considering trying the 57's.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm thinking that I'll go the 57 route also, but I think that I'm going to wait until I get a winch on the truck, then have some springs custom made with the center pin in the right spot and with 6" of lift over stock. Hopefully I can get some that will be flexy but won't break or wear out real fast. I just have a big fear that using springs in the front that were intended for use in the rear will be way too scary on the street with the added weight of the engine sitting on them. </font>

13. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

For longer spings and lift I am going to use the stock front springs out of a 79 F250.
    54" eye to eye, 5 leaf pack. They look like they will give about 4" of lift. And they look like they will support a winch and bumper.
    It shouldn't take much effort to swap in the F250 front spring hangers.
    Another thing I have been considering is the effect of wheel hop due to the longer springs.
    I think I'll get the antisway bar as well just in case.

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I would not swap 57's on a full body rig and plan to use it on the street. unless you run a sway bar of some sort. or atleast tuneable shocks.

With my 57's up front and with the 7" shackles and 2" lower front mount I have about a 7" lift in the front. You also have to take in acount the pinion angle. Thats why I dropped the front mount lower to help kick the pinion up a little. the 52's didn't create any problems there.
    I just want to be crazy stupid in the flex department. I will however be running lowered bumpstops and limiting starps to help. My axle was moved forward about 3-4" by doing the fords.

-J

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

This thread is worthless without pics!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

16. BADRED73-N-AZ

BADRED73-N-AZ Registered Member

Iput 52" 4" BDS up front moved the front end forward 3" made costom hangers ride on a 1/2 thick plate thats part of my bumper the hanger are 4" down from stock but go back at an angle totaly covering the spring eye in a box shape so on aproch can push them up and over till tires cach something ride is great and flex is sick had revoler shackel on the front of the 52" springs for a while but that was way ovae kill and not safe on the road.

17. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Heres one, I'll snap more once I get the bumper on and get it off the stands.

for compairasen (sp?) my buddy has 6" trailmaster fronts with a 2" hill off road shackle and with my STOCK ford springs with a 7" shackle and a 2" dropped front mount we are dead even on lift. and guess who flexes more??????LMAO
    [​IMG]

18. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

a pre body shot. you can see the stock hanger lowered 2" by just moving it down a set of holes. I desided to cut that all off and just build the front mount into the bumper. way more beef, plus I was able to take 5" off the front of the frame for a WAY better approach angle.

57's up front