Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Longer Front springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Donovan, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Many of us on this board have came to a conclusion that we need longer front springs to flex better and ride better. Well I was out measuring a Dodge Ramcharger yesterday and the front springs might work okay on a Blazer. The Springs are 48" long and the Chevy are 47" long. I know 1" is not a lot but I think it would help out a lot. It would not be a direct bolt in but with a little time and patience they would work. I think that anyone that is going with a 6" lift this would be a better spring than the Chevy 6". I see that BDS and Tuff Country does offer a 5" and 6" lift. I think when the time comes I will be putting a 4" lift using the Dodge springs onto my 86 Dually and try them out. Just some food for thought for you guys this Holiday Season. Merry Christmas to you all. Here is some links on some springs.
    http://www.offroadexchange.com/rossram.htm

Donovan
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com>www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com</a>
    Got Leafs??

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

First, did you ever find rustbucket?

Cool info. And just in time too since I'm finally ready to order the lift for my K30. Now, you say it is not a "bolt in" so I'm guessing that the bushings are too wide/narrow and maybe the bolts are the wrong size? What needs to be done to use them? 1" longer is *exactly* what I wanted. I was planning on calling up BDS and getting them to help me figure out which pack would be best to give me that but sounds like you've already figured that out.

Aha, I see on one of your links that the spring bolts for the dodge are bigger. Hmm sounds like a good thing. [​IMG] Easy to fix with custom, heavy, rear shackles (required anyway) and a little work to the front bucket. Any other changes required?

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

No I never heard anything about it. I have bought a 74 Jimmy that I am working on know. Hopefully I can have it done around spring time.

The springs look like they have a 9/16" front bolt like chevy but the back bolt is 1/2". So that would be great. The front spring bucket was only 2.75" wide and the chevy is 3.75" wide or so. So you would have to use space to center the spring in the bucket but that is no big deal. Also the center pin to the front is 24" and the Chevy is 23.5". So what I would do is redrill the spring perch .75" back and then the center of the axle now be 23.25". So you would be moving the axle forward .25". I hope this helps. If anyone else has access to a Dodge would you check my measurements. I believe that they are correct.

Donovan
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com>www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com</a>
    Got Leafs??

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good idea, you guys know I like the longer springs up front idea! One of the things I dislike the most about chevy lifts is that they pull the shackle forward, that forces the rear spring eye down when it's first compressed and increases intitial spring rate, makeing for a stiff ride.

A one inch longer spring would probably push the shackle back to 90 degs or-so, and into a much more favorable postion.

A guy at work has a Dodge P/U, if I can remember to, I'll check it out to.

If there is a problem with spring width, just pound out the stock bushing and install a Poly bushing with a shoulder on it.

<font color=blue>Wow factors
    A SBC (4" X 3.48") with 2" intake-valve at 6,000 RPMs:
    1- The piston reaches a maximum speed of 60 MPH

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I was just sniffing around to check on a lift for my beast and found some interesting info. Apparently most companies (definitely BDS but the guy said same was true of others) only make 3" lifts for the Ram Charger due to short rear drive shaft. He also said that the Dodge RC 3" lift had a "really funky" arch compared to the Chevy and that the rear eye rolls "over" instead of "under" like GMs do. The only other thing he had was a set of 5" springs for the old Rams (which he said are the same as the RC but not marketed as such).

Just an FYI for your investigations...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Yah I seen that wierd spring eye but I don't see where that would hurt anything. I guess I will have to do it to see how it works. Thanks

Donovan
    Got Leafs??