Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

longer front springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DSJ, Dec 31, 2003.

1. DSJ

DSJ Registered Member

Ok, I have herd a little about putting longer springs in the front, but after searching I have not found any specs on it. Is anyone doing this and if so what springs are you using and how much lift dose it give you. I have taken the body off my 83 K30 and am building a tube frame and a 4 seater out of it so I will be lighter in the front than I was.

2. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I would be interested in this also, I might be buying new front springs soon and if I have the opportunity to pick up a bit more flex,,,, I'm all for it.

I have noticed that where the front spring hanger are rivited on,,, there is another set of holes forward of the factory rivits. It looks like if you ground the rivits out, and moved the hager forward to the new holes,, they would match up. Did any other GM truck have longer springs that used these holes? It looks like it might move the hanger forward by around 2 inches or so, thus you could mount a 2 inch or so longer spring.

Any ideas??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Doing same thing also,
    do this. Type this in search box and you'll get wealth of info. +52"rear spring type just like that and you'll have a few pages of info. hope it helps.

4. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Stock blazer front springs are 48" eye to eye. If you install 52" rear springs from a blazer you will be moving the axle forward about 4" IIRC(to do this you have to move the front spring hanger(s)). There is no telling how much lift you would get out of using stock 52" rear springs. I would venture to say around 2-3" since the rear springs have more of a positive arch. To determine where to mount your hangers and get a good shackle angle, check out this link: http://www.echobit.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=9

Have fun. I am also doing a longer front spring soon as well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif