Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Longer lug nut studs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crazy427, Dec 29, 2003.

1. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifI wanted to put longer lug nut studs on the front of my blazer. It has a corporate 10bolt 6 lug.I dont like the amount of threads that are being used with my new aluminum wheels /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.Does any one know where i can find them?I was hoping to get them soon so that i can drive it again.( Dont feel safe the way it is) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I needed the same thing, I searched and searched and searched, couldnt find anything like I wanted. I finally concluded that the only way to do that would be to run a larger wheel stud, like a 14mm or 9/16" thread size.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You need to remove one of the studs and take it to the parts store and have them measure it for you and they can get into their book and find one that is longer for you. Not only does the studs length need to be correct but also the knurled portion where it presses into the hub/rotor assembly. This is why you need to remove one for them.

4. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

Thats what i figured. The local parts stores didnt have anything close, but the local performance shop had 3 sets of 1/2 X 20 studs that were 3in long ,so with a little big of rotor drilling and finesse i got them to work and they worked awsome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

So you updated to 1/2" studs instead of 7/16"?

Isn't it funny how GM used 5 1/2" studs for 2wds and 6 7/16 studs for 4wds on half tons?

6. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

Yeah /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif,lol.......but its all good now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif!!

7. skark_burmer

skark_burmer 1/2 ton status

I am also looking to upgrade to longer studs. Is my only option going up to 1/2" studs?
    If so, where would i find such a thing? Summit?
    Im worried about the funky style of stud used on the front of 4WD axles. Can anyone provide a part number for easy on-line shopping?

Thanks guys.

8. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

I've replaced 2 sets on various vehicles I've had. Both times I got longer-than-stock studs at a local parts store/machine shop. I'll see if I can get down there in the next couple days to see if they still carry them.

9. skark_burmer

No worries, i found my solution at Summit.
    They carry a Moroso stud that is 1/2x20 with a .563" knurl diameter, 3" long with a .25" nose for easy threading. The studs small knurl diameter (close to stock) shouldn't require me to drill out the hub/disc (not that i care much about doing that, but it will save me some work every time i replace the discs) and it has a larger 1/2" shank. The studs are rated at 190,000 psi shear so that should be plenty. The truck has some el cheapo stock studs on it now with an average of 2 studs per wheel snapped off, the rest of the studs show the threads starting to roll over, certainly from some gratuitous impact wrenching.
    Packs of 5 cost $12 and are in stock. Part # MOR-46220.
    They also have part # MOR-46185 which is identical to the 46220, except have a larger knurl diameter of .594", which is why i chose the 46220.

10. skark_burmer

Oh, ARP also carries a stud that is similar to the moroso 46185, however the ARP are $57 for a pack of 5, vs the Moroso at $12 per 5.
    Im sure the ARP studs are a premimum product, but i couldnt justify spending that king of dough for this application. I invested in the ARP head studs for my diesel so i certainly have nothing against ARP, or spending the cash where i think its warranted, but the Moroso studs are more than appropriate.
    The ARP are rated at the same 190,000 psi strength but i didnt see any ARP stud that matched the moroso 46220. just FYI...

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Thanks for the info.
    I was going to start searching for some to convert my blazer to 1/2" studs :D

12. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

OOooh! Thanks! Copied and pasted that one into my files!:D:D

13. skark_burmer

yeah boyee!
    Exactly what i wanted. Now i can run 1/2" studs without drilling my hubs.

Mor46220lugstud.JPG

14. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Bringing this one to the top.

How easily did those studs go in? How have they been working for you?

15. skark_burmer

They took slight effort.
    I could have beat the snot out of them to get them in, or i could enlarge the hole slightly.
    I went the latter, got a drill bit just big enough to remove most of the existing spline marks in the hub and then it was a more appropriate press fit. I still had to hammer them in from the back but they went in like one would expect. The hole still showed some spline marks leftover, but you'll need to remove some of the the material for a ideal fit.

they are working great and no issues to date. I use anti-sieze compound on my lugnuts though, so i dont expect i will ever have any issues like galling or thread pulling.

16. Terminal4

Terminal4 Registered Member

this is the perfect solution. thanks! unfortunately, found this thread too late. i got aluminum rims that have a much thicker center piece than the steelies i had on previously. what i did was i got extended thread lug nuts. will probably change the studs anyhow. the stock 7/16x20x1.54 are about the same size as my civics. hmm.