Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Longer Rear Shackle or Zero-Rate???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I have been noticing that the rear of my K5 sits a little low since the addition of softer rear springs....and I was wondering if a longer set of rear shackles would be a "valid" way to gain a little bit of height back there.

I would normally put on a set of zero-rates and be done with it, but I have a spare set of rear shackles already and I can extend one of the mounting holes about 2" to gain 1" of lift.

THE QUESTION:

What am I going to affect, besides the pinion angle by adding a longer rear shackle? I know the pinion will be rotating UP, but I'm not sure what other adverse effects I might be creating with this "free" mod on my truck.

BTW -> The rear setup is a 4" ORD Shackle Flip and a stock set of springs off an '89 K5.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I don't think that a 2" longer shackle is going to affect much other than pinion angle, and if it does it's easy enough to yank it out and go for the 0 rate. </font color>

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Cool.....I already started building the extensions tonight.

I figured it's only a couple hours time to build and swap them in, so why not?

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

PS -&gt; You know, now that I think about it....adding a longer FRONT shackle might be a quick way to prove to myself that extra caster angle either WILL or WILL NOT calm down my "almost-death-wobble" tendencies!!! I suppose if it works, I could then get a tapered shim for the springpack.

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Greg, I am using the ORD 4'' flip and I am using Belltech lowering shackles (about 3'' longer than stock) on my '87 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. I did not gain any lift being that I run them at a gnasty angle with my 57''s /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif, but I did notice a little bit more swaying in the rear end. Not like body roll, its like the axle is shifting from left to right (time for that panhard bar /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). When fully flexed, the longer shackle gave the spring enough leverage to almost completely destroy the rubber shackle bushings /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Not enough reason for me to use a shorter shackle, just food for thought /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the stock shackle are much too short anyway so go for it