Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

longer rear shackles on rear springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by down4thakrown, May 30, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

trying to get some ideas on how to make some. if theres a place that sells them that'll help too. :xmas:

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Do you have a shackle flip? Some people use shackles that are made for lowering trucks because they are longer than stock and will give an inch or two of lift.

3. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yea i got the shackle flip, what are the lowering shackles for, where can i find them??

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

try summitracing.com

j

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Lowering shackles are what some guys use to lower the rear of their truck (2wd). They are just longer than stock shackles used to lower the truck by mounting the spring farther from the hanger. With a shackle flip though, the longer than stock shackles will raise the rear instead of dropping it.

CLICK ME then scroll down some

6. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

The lowering shackles do work but, if you do any rock crawling, or wheel a :burb: they won't last long. I have gone through a couple of sets, I am making a set out of 3/8" steel. But for street or light wheeling the lowering shackles should be ok.

7. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

i run those summit shackles on my trail rig and there holding up fine :D

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Hey if you got a welder then just make some of your own. They are freakin way easy to make, besides remember, built not bought baby! Take some 3/8 plate, that should be way overkill. Once you have the desired length just weld a crossbar in their to add strength. :D but of course one end would have to have a tube in it for the bushing. Im not sure of the size of that just measure the I.D. of your stock shackles and get some of the same inner diameter tube. Or instead of the crossbar idea box the whole shackle in with that fat plate, that ought to do it. I just love when someone asks me, who made your.....? And its like I did biotch, now take your chrome shocks and toothpick axles and go find a curb to jump. Sorry, I have had too much coffee today, the buzz is great though. Good luck with your shackles.

Oh here ya go, I was thinking of something like these if you want to build yourself a set, otherwise I havent heard many a people bending or braking those lowering shackles.

http://www.coloradok5.com/hill4wheeldrivereview.shtml