Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Longer shackels?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fulltopblazer, Dec 2, 2002.

1. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever thought about running longer shackels on the rear with a shackle flip? I have a homemade shackle flip on my blazer. I run a front spring hanger on the rear. But I need a couple of inches more lift. I was thinking about buying a set of longer shackel like they use on lowered trucks. Do you think these might be so long that they would twist when the truck was twisted? I don't want to put lifted springs on with alot of arch. What does everyone think? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You could do that...some have.
    The problem you run into is that the shackles hang down lower they the factory ones and are weak (not ment to be drug over rocks).

I think I would go with a 1-2" block first.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

It's quite common to use longer shackles but most of the aftermarket ones available are for lowering and don't hold up well to rocks... unless of course you make stronger ones:
    [​IMG]

4. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

5. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I just ordered a set made for lowering from AIM industries (www.truckin.com) They have 2 sets of holes to adjust for 1" or 2" of lift. They also had some made specifically for lifting 4x4s (if you already have a shackle flip) and they were made with thicker metal, but weren't reinforced very well and were about $20 more expensive. About the strength concerns, I'm gonna wait and see how good these lowering shackles look when I get them and possibly reinforce them a little with some 3/16" flat stock. Plus, I'm gonna use the first hole for 1" lift (2" longer than stock) so there won't be too much twisting. They also come with new greasable bushings already installed. The PN for the ones I ordered were SHA-GM7391 and were about $55 shipped to my door. If I wasn't such a tightwad, I would definitely get the HD extended greasable shackles from BorregoK5, they're super beefy and a better design. Oh well, hopefully I can beef up the lowrider ones so they can be drug over rocks without breaking. Hope this helps.

6. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Also another problem is that if you run a long shackel you also kill you departure angle because they hang down so frekin low. Later
    -Flexy

7. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replys. Hey borrego when are you going to make a bolt together cage for a 73-75? Put me on the list for one.

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I ordered some air bags and related gear from AIM and they screwed up the order real bad! I'm still trying to get them to correct it! ( http://www.kmwperformance.com/ has been good though if anyone is looking )You should be able to weld up some stock to those shackles no problem - a good price for greasables too - if they dont screw up the order!

I am making 73-75 bolt together cages, shoot me a pm if your interested and I'll walk you through some of the obstacles to installation that exist under your truck cab.

9. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

There's alot of shackles on the market for jeep xj that work on Chevy's and are very beefy. I'm using a warrior products jeep shackle on mine. Borrego's look good too.