Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Longer Shackle AND Spring Hanger?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SHINTON, Jan 6, 2003.

1. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, something just tumbling around in my mind that came from a fellow 4x4er here in NC. John had a 73 CJ5 that he lifted by adding a longer shackle and longer spring hanger on all 4 of his leaf springs. So...I am all /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

I want to say the spring hangers were 3" longer than normal and the shackles were 6" longer than normal. (Thus about 4.5" lift?)

Now John WHEELED this thing hard, ramped 1000 ez on a 20 degree, was locked front and rear and took this sucker all over the east coast. (Tellico, etc.) I know it WORKS, it can even be wheeled in some pretty harsh locations and lasted for about 20 years....

So my question is, this is not a normal mode of lifting, I have seen it mentioned a few other places, what is "Wrong" with this and what is "Right" with it?

Most importantly, IF I did the shackle flip in the back of my 72 Jimmy AND then decided to do this on the front springs (4" longer shackle and spring hanger)what am I gonna screw up?

The benefits according to John was he used his STOCK CJ springs for the 20 years he owned/ran that setup, they got super flexy over time, etc, great ride....fairly cheap to do as well. I LOVE my stock springs, the Jimmy has a nice tight ride and I hate to lose that by buying/using aftermarket front springs.

Sam Hinton

2. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

A longer shackle in front would not work the same on your truck as it did on his jeep. His shackles are on the front of the spring so he can get away with adding alot more shackle. On your truck, with the shackle in the back of the spring, you would lower you pinion angle too much. You can use a shackle a little longer than stock, but not as long as a jeep could. If you lower the front hanger the same lenth as the shackle, then nothing would be effected.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It may have worked on his jeep but it will not work on your blazer. Jeep springs come with a positive arch (like a /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). Blazer springs are negative arch (like a /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ). Because of this you will not get alot of travel out of them. If you put on some soft 4" springs they will have a slight positive arch to them. They will work the best that way.

Leaf springs are cheep.
    Do a shackle flip in the rear and put some new springs in the front.
    Do Not Buy Ranchos!

If you want it really soft get some tough country ez rides for a 2nd gen and move the front spring hanger forward 1.5".

4. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Gotcha, I had forgot that the front springs were the 'neg arch' etc. I may look into the front springs, thx! There seems to be a pair selling on here most of time.

Sam