Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

longer shackles??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chulisohombre, Jan 7, 2003.

1. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

how much actual lift will a 2 inch longer shackle give and will it give a lot more flex than a stock shackle?right now i only have a bout an 3/4 of an inch in between the shackle and exhaust collector.so will this flex so much that it will maybe hit the collector and eventually kill my exhaust?thanx for all replies.i have a 72 blazer 4 inch lift 2 inch drop drag link.

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

you are only extending one side of the leaf spring so 2" will net you 1"...

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

A 2" longer Shackle will give you 1" more of lift. this isnt really a good way to get your lift as it will throw the pinion down more and might be an issue with the driveline.

4. chulisohombre

my shackles are kinda junk so i was thinkin this might be an option.how far off will it throw the pinion angle and stearing?i need a new driveshaft anyway. i busted the splines inside the slip yolk.i need a 2 inch longer shaft now.will this be enuf if i were to replace the shackles with longer ones?to fix the pinion angle will i need some sort ofspring shim to help it or are they a bad idea on front springs?

5. Sandman

I wont really hurt the steering. It hurts that more raising the pinion up. Its not a bad idea to upgrade the shackles. the real issue is the driveline. You already have the four inch lift and dropping the pinion down it might get close. You could try jacking the vehicle up and take a took at it and see what you think. You might be OK.

6. chulisohombre

so you are saying just jack the truck up from the middle of the bumper to about one inch to drop the spings down and see what that does for me?1 inch shouldn't make too much of a difference i dont think since rockcrawling drops the diff much more than that.when i get a new front shaft this should put everything back to the right lengths right?what kind of angle would be too much for a front shaft?its at about a 15 degree angle sitting on flat ground now.

7. Sandman

Just jacking up the truck wont quite do it. the spring is working there and both sides of it will move and flex. the best way to check it would be do pull out the lower shackle bolts and then raise up the truck the amount you are looking at. this causes the front of the spring to stay in position but the rear of it to drop. Then you can see what your pinion might do. the best bet on the angle would be to call up one of the driveline shops you hear about here and ask them. I think you would get the best answer there.

8. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got 4" springs and 3" longer shackles and have no problems with pinion angle. You should be fine. As long as your not driving in 4 wheel all the time.

9. chulisohombre

what does your axleshaft look like.what angle i should say?mines at about 15 degrees right now on flat ground.