Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Longer Slip Yoke instead of new Dshaft?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, May 20, 2000.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to go to a drive shaft shop and get a longer slip yoke instead of getting a longer driveshaft or a whole new one or is that what the shop does when you get a longer drive shaft?

2. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

To save some money you could go to the junkyard and dig for a driveshaft that would fit.Just take good measurements of what you need.I used a shaft off of a shortbox chevy that had a auto and 203.My ride has a 4 speed and 205 and 4" lift.I got mine free from a friends parts truck.Or you could also have your shaft lengthened buy a drivetrain shop or machine shop.This is usually cheaper than a new shaft.Brady

3. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah.I just shortened a driveshaft myself today.It is for the frontend.I got tired of breaking the CV joint and spending $75 to fix it.I took an old shaft I had that has just one u-joint on each end.I ground off the weld on one end to remove the yolk then I shortened the tube to the right length and welded it back together.If you do this take carefull measurements of what you need.since mine is for the front I probally won't have it balanced.All I do is rock crawl.(slow)Also make sure they are the right size u-joints.Not sure how I'm going to attach the shaft to the t-case yet though.The front u-bolt is a little small for the t-case yolk.Need to goto the parts house and see what they have to use.Brady

4. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

How does a drive shaft shop lengthen a D-shaft and how much does it run $100-200?

5. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

they replace the tube! About 50.00 to 80.00

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Well this is not going to be to informitive because I gave the mag away(Petersons 4Wheel&Offroad),but...someone is making a longer slip yoke. If you need more travel, not just the legenth, and have a newer style x-fer case this would be the way to go. If you have a fixed yoke you can get as long a slip shaft as you want. Most driveshaft shops just do a retube when you need more shaft. In the Atlanta area it will run $75-$150. If you have more ? repost and I'll get the issue back,Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

7. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I just had my driveshaft lengthened last week. I broke the yoke on the driveshaft....the one that connects to the slip yoke. When I put the 6" lift on my Jimmy, I noticed the slip yoke had come out quite a bit. I was planning on getting it lengthened, but it broke before I had the chance. I just got it fixed sooner than I was expecting. It cost me about $120 to have it lengthened, balanced, and a new yoke put on......I am very pleased with the company that did the work. "Crazy Train" drives a lot better, there isn't anymore vibration. Good luck.

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)