Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

longer springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PeteH, Sep 19, 2006.

1. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

has anybody done longer(56"-63"?) lift springs in the rear without doing a shackle flip?

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Thats funny, I was just thinking about it too;)

3. chris85

chris85 1/2 ton status

Does the 56" rear spring swap net any kinda lift at all? just curious

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

No, doesn't need to be lifted, just moved back.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Bubba Ray Beudroauex (SP?) Has put longer springs with the factory style tension shackle. Maybe shoot him a PM and see if he has any info or pics..

Ira

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im running lifted 64's but i also did a home made shackle flip

i dont think anyone does that because in order to run the longer springs you have to move the rear shackle anyways, so most jus do a flip at the same time

7. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

IIRC he has a 52" setup still with two inch drop shackle. i'd like to do the same but with a longer spring..like a 6 inch lift 63" spring with two inch drop shackle.

and the way i see it..
    lotsa travel while maintaining arch in the spring. this will make the springs last longer.

i always see people with a shackle flip exceed the spring to a point where it is either flat or starts to reverse the arc(upside down arch)

theres lots of prerunners out there that have tons of travel with the shackle configureation we have. prerunner rangers sometimes flip their shackle to be tension like ours(keeps truck lower while maintaning travel(which is good no matter what truck your in))

toyota trucks have something kind of like ours with a compression shackle. however their shackle is so large and mounts for the springs are so high they can afford to have it that way..the frame goes through the shackle.

i know you have to move it to the rear and foward also. a shackle flip just eliminates the need to run blocks while using stock height springs. i like the flex that people are getting with the stock springs + flip but again the springs suffer.

i then see people who get new longers lift springs and continue to run a shackle flip. when they could have just gotten a longer higher lift spring and used the stock config. just moved back.(your were going to take the bracket off for the flip anyways.)

just my opinions and not to put down anyone. plus i like the discussion.:D

oh yea...i have a shackle flip...just not installed yet.:laugh:

8. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

bump

9. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

bump

10. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

bump

11. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

bump

12. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

bump

13. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

With the stock style tension shackle your shackles will live a long happy life and with a flip you need to beef them up.

14. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The other thing to consider I suppose is how your gaining 4" of the lift out back...

Even with longer springs, the difference in stiffness/ride quality between a 6" and 2" is huge...

I would think as long as it has a 2" spring, not a stocker, that should help the durabilty of the setup..

I plan on 2" 56's and Kerts flip....

15. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I think he means using a 2wd 2" drop shackle and a longer lift spring (2", 4", 6"). With a longer shackle the spring can flex more due to the bigger arc of the shackle, making a softer ride with more flex.
    If using an 2" spring you can keep your stock height and pick-up more flex. But the drawback I see is that the longer spring would put the longer shackle further back in the arc, limiting it's flex. Also, a lift spring is stiffer in most cases than stock because of the greater arch, which would cancel out the softer ride (VS stock). The last drawback would be the bigger arc of the shackle. The spring might be allowed to flex more than it was desinged for and give out faster.

16. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

good point.:laugh:

with the setup i'm talking bout the spring(deaver/national) would be pretty soft. there would be more travel with more arc, and more movement because of the longer 2wd drop shackle. i was planning on 56 or even 63's for a long long time with shackle flip. but i've always been worried about flexing till the spring went flat.

yea...a longer spring(lets say 63") that nets a 6" inch lift. with 2 inch drop shackle from 2wd. the mounts for the spring obviouly moved front and back.
    this would give around 4" lift but stuff tires way the heck up.

companys like deaver and national make some pretty flexy springs. lots a leaves that are pretty thin.

would the two inches actually affect life span?..yes but not that much.. the only reason i say 6 inch spring with the 2wd 2inch drop shackle is to use a spring with more arc. i think the shackle movements(2wd 2" vs. stock) is minimal enough that the comparison of each spring life could be disregarded...i mean there are so many people here that run springs and flex them until they invert or go flat(big no no:D ). there are alot of people who even run longer shackles when going shackle flip. i wouldnt worry bout the drop shackle affecting it that much, but i would worry bout all the springs.

17. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

with a stock mount, higher arch springs with longer shackles the spring could flex enough that it pushes back into the mount. probably would never happen but it is possible.

18. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

hmmm..

hey! i was born in west chester, pa!!!cool ...eh i moved when i was 2 though so i dont remember anything.