Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Longer u-bolts for zero rate add-a-leaf?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by OneInTheSun, Dec 13, 2001.

1. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

I guess this isn't much of an issue, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    I have the 4" Superlift springs in the rear (with the u-bolts they provided). From the top of the nut to the tip of the u-bolt, there's just over an inch of u-bolt threads left. So, it looks like when I install the 1 inch zero rate leaf, the top of the nut will be flush with the top of the u-bolt. I'm assuming that as long as all of the threads on the nut are in contact with the u-bolt, I'm OK. Or is there some sort of weird structural integrity engineering concept that requires a certain length of u-bolt to be sticking out past the nut?
    Yeah, dumb question. Just want to make sure things are safe.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am about to add a zero rate too, and I was advised to have at least an inch of bolt about the nut after the zero rate is in. So I would assume that you will need new ubolts.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If you have a full nut, that's enough. Any thread sticking out is extra. A little extra length is insurance if they try to loosen up, but technically a thread out of the nut is enough.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>