Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Longer water pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jerry303, May 28, 2004.

1. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

I am finally getting around to putting my first gen back together and I got to the water pump, got the first one all mounted up and the bracket which mounts to the alt and water pump has a large space now...i might be able to use it but i would have to use some type of spacer which seems like a bad idea. i then called up the parts store and they told me they had "another one" and i took the first one back and got the other one, and though it looks much more like the pump that i took out the space still exists. The first one I got was part number c1301270 and the second one c1301250. i can provide any pics if it would be helpful...thanks, jerry

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

is it the stock engine because later small blocks use a different water pump

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know exactly what you're talking about. some pumps are made with the correct offset for your bracket and others are made differently and need a spacer that is about 3/4" long or so between the pump and bracket. The pump usually comes with the new spacer.

4. jerry303

The engine itself is a goodwrench, but the bracket was from I believe a 76 3/4 ton.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

1st gens came with short water pumps. So you are using a crate engine with long water pump and 76 brackets?

6. jerry303

Yes, as far as I know. I did not do the first engine swap, so I cannot be sure what truck that the engine and other drivetrain parts came out of, it was 3/4 ton and he said 76 but he might be wrong.

7. jerry303

What year should I get the water pump from?

8. jerry303

Help me get this thing one step closer to being on the road! and off the road too