Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Longer Wheel Studs for D44? (alloy wheels)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by locked up, Apr 28, 2007.

1. locked up

locked up Registered Member

I got some alloy wheels and the shop is telling me the lug studs I have are too short ... so they want to use some ET lugs.

I'd had bad experiences with those lugs so I'd rather get longer wheelstuds.

I did find some that should work for my rear end but I can't seem to find any for my front D44. Anybody have a source for longer wheel studs for our 44s?

2. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

The studs I used are 2 29/32 specified for 3/4 and 1. F**d trucks and E250/350 vans. There have been no problems with them in my flat top knuckle D44. Also, I was looking at my Chevy dually rear studs and they'll work ,too. I've got thick center alum. rims that needed longer studs. They use a 1" lug nut. I hope it helps.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'd step up to at least 1/2" studs in the process.

I don't know why replacing studs gets to be a problem. Many aftermarket axle shafts just come with bolts threaded in from the backside.

4. locked up

I don't have aftermarket shafts.

I'd rather step up to a 1/2" stud but wouldn't I need to find studs that have the same knurl diameter?

Jones,
    What year ford? All the ones I find for F/E350s are 9/16 thread and don't look to be splined in the same way. I mean they have the same splines but they are a lot closer to the head of the lug so I'd think they wouldn't fit the same way.

maybe I'm losing it ....

5. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

I don't remember what year, Bro. I took my original stud to Parts Plus and went through the catalog with the counter man. That's what he came up with. I couldn't even find the receipt with the part # after I posted. It's been well over a year since I put them on. Do the splines really matter? There was no play at all when I drove them in.

6. locked up

I'd think that without them they would spin .... maybe I missed what you are saying.

7. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

There were no spinning issues. I drove them in completely with a chunk of 1" solid rod. Afterwards, I put the lugnuts on and torqued them to specs, removed said lugnuts, and put the tires/rims on and re-installed lugnuts. No problems. I drove them in completely before torqueing the nuts because I've read several times not to draw the studs in with the nuts. Not sure of the reasons...

Does anyone in the know feel like giving a reason?

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The potential is there to over torque and stretch the studs before they seat.

9. locked up