Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looing for info on Posi's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Apr 4, 2006.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to finally get my truck back on the road. I blew the rearend (12bolt) about a month ago. I know the best would to just swap a 14bolt in and call it done but I don't have the funds for that now. I was thinking of upgrading to a detroit but thave started thinking that might be to tough on the rear end because this is more a DD than wheeler right now. I had a posi in it--just not sure which one--and it's raining so I can't go check.

I'm looking at either the Eaton or Auburn. But with the Auburn there are 2 a highperformance series and a pro series. The high performance being about a 100 bucks cheaper. So that makes me think the pro series will be tighter. Anybody know anything on either of these? Or should I check out hte Eaton--almost the same in price as the pro series Auburn.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can probably get a 14bff with a Detroit out of a CUCV cheap. All of the M1008's had them. Just a thought.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

DD with a locker isn't bad at all . I can cruise all day on the freeway , and hit the trail just fine .

I would get a locker for whatever axle you plan to use .

4. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

Also thinking of the future I plan on towing the other blazer with my current one. Also maybe a ski boat. Hopefully by then I'll have upgraded to a 14bolt but maybe not right away. So what bout about towing with the locker in a 12bolt-will it cause too much stress on the axles. I do tow some heavy loads on occasion now nothing like the weight of a truck but still a couple 1000 pounds.

And has anyone had any experience with the c-clip eliminators?

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I towed my other Blazer tub home with the top on it on a heavy rental trailer , behind my Blazer ........................ with a shackle flip , 12 bolt , locker , and in OVERDRIVE :laugh:

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The eaton setup with 800lb springs (I believe that's available in 12B) would be my choice between the two you presented.

I'd still not spend money on a 12bolt if you already blew it, that's a simple indication that you need to go bigger now, instead of next time it blows.

7. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

technically it didn't blow up. the ring gear bolts came out and got inside the gears and took everything out.