Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Look at my Blazer

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by the hulk, Sep 21, 2003.

1. the hulk

the hulk Registered Member

What is the second sensor for? Neutral safety switch?

[​IMG]

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Uh....what area exactly is that a picture of? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Could it be a temp sensor what type of trans is that?
    Earl

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

it looks to be the reverse switch for triggering the lights.

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What is the second sensor for? Neutral safety switch?

[/ QUOTE ]
    the neutral safety switch is on the steering column, it’s at the base of the column and on the top side, it’s a half round plastic piece held on by two screws… /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    now what your looking at I have no ideal /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Uh....what area exactly is that a picture of?

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like it is the top of an sm465 or sm420

7. the hulk

the hulk Registered Member

not sure what this is little help

this is the top of my sm465. not sure what the one circled in red is . the one with the wires running to it is the back up switch , the only other thing it could be is a nuetral safety switch i dont think it would be a temp sending unit i dont have a guage , i can't find any thing in a my shop manual on it and it broke , well if anyone had to replace it and know what it is please let me know what it is /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Re: not sure what this is little help

It is the high gear indicator switch for the TCS (transmission controlled spark) system.

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Blazer1970 hit it right on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

The 465 I pulled out of my 70 K5 has that sensor too. The 465 I am putting in it's place does not have that sensor so I pulled it out of the old and put it in the replacement tranny.

What exactly does it do?

11. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

it is for emmissions, it prevents the timing from advancing untill you reach highway speed. there should also be a TCS vaccum solenoid going to your distributor and a delay relay beside your horn relay in your firewall that complete the circuit.

your distributor should not get a vacum advance untill ~20seconds after you hit highway speed(or high gear).

1) The sensor(switch) on the tranny gets grounded when you put the tranny in high gear. Then ground signal is sent to the delay relay on the firewall.
    2) The "electronics" in the delay relay begin a 20-40 second countdown. Once the countdown is done the delay relay send another signal to the vaccum solenoid.
    3)The vaccum solenoid sits between your carb and distributor vaccum advance. Vaccum is then able to advance your distributor timing.
    4) when the tranny is not in high gear the tranny switch is open and the delay relay shuts out the vaccum to the distributor vacum advance mechanism.

I got busted a few months ago by the EPA, they didn't even know what it was. I had to explain how it worked to them. they bust people and don't even know why /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

if you search through this board you'll find the whole story. also, you'll find the schematics of the circuit. I am looking for a tranny that will acept the switch. You wanna trade??

ARQ.

12. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The TCS relay on my '70 Blazer was attached to the heater box under the hood. There was also a temp swich on the block or head that only allowed the system to work after the engine was up to operating temp.