Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

look at these wierd markings on my rear axle..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike reeh, Sep 24, 2001.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

i was pressure washing my rear axle for the hell of it at a friends house and I uncovered these marks.. Im 99.9 % positive that this is the original axle and has never been out of the vehicle.. I think they are from the factory/assembly line.. what do you think?? its a 1977 gmc 3/4ton 4WD ...

http://lagparty.org/~mike/wierdmarks2.jpg

mike

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I looks like a factory marking. I have no idea what it stands for though.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Maybe I'm dense, but those marks look like scrapes. From who knows what.
    I can't see it in person obviously, but I think those marks could be from 1987 as easily as they could have been from 1977.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Sorry, but looks as the paint markings from a junk yard .....

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

It's probably some assembly line thing - if you look over enough vehicles, you'll find some really strange things and/or markings - My old F250 had a "happy retirement" thing to some guy named Jack written inside the driver's door, so it's safe to assume that Jack was in charge of window/lock assemblies in March of 1977.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I agree with C'moe. I have been through enough junk yards in my day. They uaually mark them like that with the year they were out of...Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

7. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Looks like a boneyard marking.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

8. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I agree that it looks like junk yard markings. I say the previous owner replaced the rear diff..........

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <a target="_blank" href=http://stoopalini.off-road.ws/blazer>My Blazer Site</a>

9. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

i don't know but on my blazer, i've known the people that owned it before me and know that it didn't have anything major changed out and the was markings all over, on the fire wall, rear diff about the same area as yours, the frame, the fuel tank, and several others where labels 22 in a white mark.

so check some of the other places i mentioned and see if they have a similar mark. if so i would so it's a factory thing

<font color=red> and everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people</font color=red>

10. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The factory uses those paint marks to "pokeyoke" the assembly process. It makes it easy to grab the right components for a particular vehicle that is going down the assembly line. My new (2001) truck has them all over it.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

11. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I know with the old MOPARS they put marks JUST like that on their rear ends, looks like factory markings to me, junk yards ones probally wouldn't stand up to a good pressure washing.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

12. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I dunno Mike. It looks a little SATANIC to me!

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

13. flblazer

flblazer 1/2 ton status

we use the marks at r junkyard to tell thats a 10 bolt an 12 an on an on

can some 1 find me a ford i need to take a pee still peein on that ford just have to keep goin dam i can not stop pissin:) k5s kings

14. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

that looks like it has been replaced with a used diff.The shock mount is right on the axle housing indicating a 14B FF from a 2WD.They do fit right in but the factory 4WD has the shock mount hanging below the housing.

chevrules...always has and always will

15. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I have never heard of the different shock mounts.. I will look into it though.. anyways ..

Im the 3rd owner, the 2nd owner had it for a very short time and basically turned around and sold it to me within a couple months.. the first owner had a camper on it for many years (the tailgate trim is almost perfect and the roof is rusted out).. the truck had less than 100K on it when I got it, original motor, trans has been rebuilt, transfer case gone thru.. there is no reason why it would have been replaced.. these 14 bolts dont just break especially with less than 100K..

the RPO sticker in the glove box calls for a 4.10 "locking differential"... about 2 weeks ago I changed the fluid, it is in fact a 4.10 geared
    posi.. the posi carrier IS a gm original unit.. the date code on the ring gear was 77...

this is enough proof for me.. The only thing I can think of is its from warranty work like has been suggested, or something from some shop.. that
    or its from the assembly line.. if you look on new trucks, they all have white chalk markings on them, altho not this thick...

I think Im going to track down the original owner (I have enough info to do it) and see whats up. maybe he can tell me some stories about it.

thanks for all your replies..

16. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Well the shock mount differences are for real.. BUT the ones in that picture (which is the ones on the axle/truck in question) ARE the 4wd ones.. "raised" in other words...

I have a spare axle that came out of a 2WD and it has the lowered shock mounts.. I can take pix if anyone wants a comparison

mike

17. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Probably something from the factory. I have 88 on mine everywhere...was on the rear diff, frame, firewall, and a few other places....

90K5

18. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Well TX MUDDER made a good point that the marks could be from 87 as easily as '77..

but TXMUDDER-- they definately are not scratches it like indelible white marker or chalk..

oh well I guess its not really a big deal.. I just thought it was interesting when I uncovered em.. the grease blasted right off but the white stuff doesnt rub off.. we'll lay this one to rest and i'll chalk it up to warranty work over the years or possibly something from the assembly line..

unless someone has anything else to add?