Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Look at this amazing K5 dual wheeled 8x8 8 wheel steering 30 inch lift!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speed_deed, Jul 24, 2003.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

<font color="green"> Sorry about the title but had to get your attention some how.

I have been going at my project of getting my brake lights to work for the last two weekends and I cant get it figured out.

It all started when I had a wreck with the pick up, about 2 days later I got pulled over and was informed that I had no brake lights. This puzzled and pi$$ed me off because I have been going at this problem in my '85 for over a year now. After changing bulbs and checking all of the wires underneath the pick up I still had no lights. So I talk to a friend and he tells me the problem is probably in the steering column. So last weekend I yanked the column from my '84 and then go to the '75 to yank the column and in the middle of yanking it My little brother says "Hey you have tail lights." thinking and believing that it was just a short in the column I go ahead and yank it and continue on with the installation of the newer column. I then in the middle of the project decide to fix the damage done by the accident (in which the pick up easily crawled over the poor little chevy citation) I yank off the fender and wheel well and decide to go back to the column to try and finish it. well that was last weekend and I still have no brake lights I saw under the dash that there were a few cut wires one of which is yellow and trails back to the fuse labeled "fuse" on the wiring harness I then come across a black wire that is chopped then I find a little plug that has a little bit of yellow sticking out of the end and a chunk of black sticking out as well as a gray wire that goes back to god knows where. I need to know where that plug goes becasue there is no visible place that it could be plugged in at and neither the old or new steering column has a place for the plug to go.

So if anybody knows where that little plug goes please help me. I am in serious need of help.</font> /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Brake lights have nothing to do with the column. The switch and wires for the brake lights are next to the column on a switch at the top of the brake pedal. Once you see what color those wires are you can trace them as needed. Check the firewall side of the fuse block, the drivers side of the block is where all the tail light wires route through.

Rene

3. speed_deed

Ok

The brake light switch has orange and whit wires, I guess I will go out to check that in a second, but first does that switch go bad? Surely it does, couldthatbe the problem?

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

you probably damaged it when you slammed on you brakes in the wreck. i locked'm up real good one time in another car and it broke the switch thingy that attaches to the pedal, but my problem was the lights would not go out.

5. speed_deed

I will check into that.... Thank you.

Any other suggestions/ideas.

6. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

The brake light switch at the pedal is adjustable, and I can see it getting moved when you had your accident.

If I remember correctly, when the switch is pressed in the lights should be off; when you press the brake pedal down, the switch extends and turns the brake lights on.

I dunno if your problem exists there, but it is definitely something worth looking at.

Good luck,
    Thomas.

7. speed_deed

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Yes it is..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I hope. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just put the interior back together and sent my sisters down to the parts store to get the part. Judging from past experience they will end up giving her the highest price most far off from what I need part so I wrote out about everything about the pick up for them to give her the right part, I also called ahead and told them not to pull any Bull$hit with her.... It's hard to find a good parts store in the city.

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, that's kind of a cheap thing to do.

Anyway, it's probably the brake light switch. It'll be a little box on the bracket that the brake pedal is affixed to. There will only be a little clip holding it on. It is adjustable. It is around $7 to replace. The one in my truck was so worn out inside I couldn't believe it worked and at that time it only had 64,000 miles on it. Yours failing wouldn't surprise me.

If there is two of those switches you got a redneck cruise control in it. It seems that instead of using a combination brakelight switch and cruise control switch GM sometimes used two separate ones. That means in the case of a cruise control equipped vehicle they would have three switches on the brake pedal. One for lights, one electric switch for the cruise, and one vacuum switch for the cruise.

9. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Hey /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I want to see this ---&gt; K5 dual wheeled 8x8 8 wheel steering 30 inch lift!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    It sounds badass /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Re: Look at this amazing K5 dual wheeled 8x8 8 wheel steering 30 inch lift!

Scroll to the top /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif