Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

look at this big sum' bitch'

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: look at this big sum\' bitch\'

his math sucks. 23" of lift where?

rear - 8" springs, ord flips, 4" block = 16"
    front - 8" dropped front hanger(only gives 4" of lift same as an ord flip in the rear, 12" front springs = 16"
    + a 3" body lift hes got 19" to clear 44s /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif 4" of lift from Rockwells? eh

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

maybe he is talking about 23" of lift over stock /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just did the math, if hes counting tires, hes undershooting, and I hate when people include tire size change as a lift number /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Someone bidded $3000 for that piece of crap?

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

are rockwells really that cheap?

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Its sick! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    are rockwells really that cheap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Rockwells really aren't all they're cracked up to be in my opinion. If I had a mud toy or something I'd certanly use them....but in stock form, they're not THAT strong, they have expensive brakes, they're heavy, have a funky bolt pattern, one gear option, etc. We've gone over this numerous times before. Rockwells are great for stuff they're necessary in, but I'd rather have a beefed '60 up front all day long.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

why do they only have one gear option? What is the gear?
    So THATS why no one runs then, when they are that cheap /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Rockwell only made the 2.5 axle with a 6.72 gear ratio. Apparently, there isn't much demand for different gear ratios either, because the aftermarket hasn't produced anything. There's aftermarket upgrade shafts, hubs, joints, etc. available, but no gears in different ratios.

[ QUOTE ]
    So THATS why no one runs then, when they are that cheap

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of people run them, but your vehicle needs to be set up correctly to support them. IIRC, they're significantly heavier than a D60 or 14FF, and require custom steering and brake setups ($$$$). Since it's a top-loading axle design, the pinions (and therefore the driveshafts) are well above the axle centerline. Great for ground clearance, but this can cause interference between the top of the axle and the engine oil pan and/or fuel tank. 2 ways around this: lift the truck high above the axles, or build the truck around the axles.

11. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ... this can cause interference between the top of the axle and the engine oil pan and/or fuel tank. 2 ways around this: lift the truck high above the axles, or build the truck around the axles.

[/ QUOTE ]

or run 56's up front pushing the axle about 6 inches forward and somewhat limit the uptravel. see it here on Balls of Fire's rig BTW, he spent less than 1K for the axles and the 48 inch tires.

12. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... this can cause interference between the top of the axle and the engine oil pan and/or fuel tank. 2 ways around this: lift the truck high above the axles, or build the truck around the axles.

[/ QUOTE ]

or run 56's up front pushing the axle about 6 inches forward and somewhat limit the uptravel. see it here on Balls of Fire's rig BTW, he spent less than 1K for the axles and the 48 inch tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you get 6" forward from a 56? Brad just put them in the front of his truck and with the front mount moved forward 4" they put the axle forward 2", just like a 52? Did he move the front mount further forward to get that much axle movement?

13. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

nope... the "center pin" on the 56's is not centered. 26 one way (same as 52's) and 30 the other. Sounds like he installed the springs backwards up front to only get the 2 inches forward axle movement.

14. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Are the rockwells double reduced? I thought I read something somewhere that they were but I'm not sure.

15. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    nope... the "center pin" on the 56's is not centered. 26 one way (same as 52's) and 30 the other. Sounds like he installed the springs backwards up front to only get the 2 inches forward axle movement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know... he installed them w/ the 26" side forward, just like a 52. If you installed them w/ the long side forward it would move the axle BACK, not forward...???

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Rockwell only made the 2.5 axle with a 6.72 gear ratio. Apparently, there isn't much demand for different gear ratios either, because the aftermarket hasn't produced anything. There's aftermarket upgrade shafts, hubs, joints, etc. available, but no gears in different ratios.

[ QUOTE ]
    So THATS why no one runs then, when they are that cheap

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of people run them, but your vehicle needs to be set up correctly to support them. IIRC, they're significantly heavier than a D60 or 14FF, and require custom steering and brake setups ($$$$). Since it's a top-loading axle design, the pinions (and therefore the driveshafts) are well above the axle centerline. Great for ground clearance, but this can cause interference between the top of the axle and the engine oil pan and/or fuel tank. 2 ways around this: lift the truck high above the axles, or build the truck around the axles.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow thanks! That explains alot! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd rather have a beefed '60 up front all day long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! It would suck to stop wheeling for lunch, rip out the 60 and swap in a Rockwell! Maybe a long term swap, but to keep switching back and forth would suck! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif