Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Look out for RUST!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rob 85K5, May 7, 2001.

1. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just a heads up, my truck had no signs of rust in these areas, you may want to do some investigating.

Pulled the interior panels and took off the top, gonna line it eventually. The filler neck hump on the inside was never even screwed in, so any mud from the past 16 years made its way inside the truck. Somehow there was only minimal surface rust that a little sanding and Ospho can cure. There are angles mounted to the floor where the side panels screw in, these are screwed to the floor and had surface rust there too.

After pulling the top off I had a small hole just below the roof line on the passenger side that I will have to do a patch on.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My firends Dad has a 90 K5. 89-91 K5's are supposed to be galvanized steel panels. His 90 is rusting out bad!!! The passenger side seat belt retractor isn't even attached anymore due to rust. The very rear crossmember gave out a while ago and the rockers are toast!

This thing is bad! I thought they were supposed to be Galvinized panels, but this one sure doesn't seem to be!

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Galvanized will still rust with exposure to road salt. It will just take longer.

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

There's a 91 here on my way to work I stopped to look at a few weeks back. The truck has spent it's whole life in CA. No snow or road salt. It's been in Sacramento so no exposure to sea salt air. The owner is selling it because it is rusting out like crazy. I couldn't believe all the rust on it. He kept it under his driveway carport most of the time too! I am wondering if he is being honest? I think he is not lying because I have driven by this thing for over 2 years. I'd see him washing it and waxing it about once a month. He always had it covered too when it was parked on the street not under the carport. He seemed to take great care of it? I guess some trucks get hit harder then others?

Mine has faired well I think. I have found some spots of rust here and there....one spot I noticed was underneath the battery tray. That's a spot that had acid leaked on it from what I can tell and it's eaten away big time in spot. I cleaned it up so it's not bad anymore. But if you have a battery set up like mine, I think most do, hang upside down or whatever you have to do to poke in there to see what is up. I'm glad I took that time to check otherwise I am sure the problem would have gotten worse.....

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

5. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i got a 91' nad the rockers and lower driver and passenger seatbeat thingys are gone

[​IMG]

6. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i got a 91' and the rockers and lower driver and passenger seatbeat thingys are gone

[​IMG]