Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Look what I traded at the Junk yard.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by extremeblazer, Apr 22, 2001.

1. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

First what I received, I had to pull the parts but the owner used the loader to move the trucks to the garage and let us use the air tools and tourches to cut every thing out.
    1973 Dana 44 Hd 3/4 ton, 8 lug, big (look cool external hubs), 4:10 gears.
    1973 14 Bolt 3/4 ton rear, 4:10 gears, both axles rolled good, not seized up
    1973 Dana 70 single wheel rear from Ford 1 ton crew cab, 3:73 gears, needed 14 bolt strength but with 44 inch tires wanted more than 5:13 gears, so a Dana 70 was the only choice. Hard to find in single rear wheel style.
    1973 NP 205, Turbo 350 style, shifts easy was in working truck
    1979 Front drive shaft long enough for my lift, nice and tight on the splines
    1978 Turbo 400 with NP 203, 32 spline perfect for the doubler and the shifter works smoothly.
    And what I traded for all of this good stuff,
    A 1990 Sidekick, that right an almost worthless sidekick. It was given to the shop for free because of a no start condition. After fixing the rusted fuel pump power feed wire it ran great. But not being Chevy we decided to beet the crap out of it. Over the last year it has been rolled down 30 degree 90 foot hills more than once. Launched off of every cliff we could find and smashed into everything. But with all these beatings it never stoped running. Actually once all the body mounts broke off and the body moved forward and broke the distributer cap but it still ran just really ruff. A little creative use of the torches fixed the clearance problem and a new cap helped it run like new again. This little thing will fit in any spot and goes up hills the K5's can't make. Our K5's would have broken dozens of times by now but this thing just keeps ticken like the energizer bunny. The junk yard saw the sidekick during a delivery to the shop and wanted it for a yard vehical to get parts. With every thing they have, they wanted our little beast but for all of this why not. The sidekick it being replaced with a really rusted 1979 scoutt II to beat to death. Will post pictures tomarrow.

2. Daveytree

Daveytree Registered Member

It sounds like sidekicks are worth their weight in gold to this guy. Who knows why. Sound like you came out winning on all counts.

[​IMG]If you don't like my driving, <font color=red> get back on the road.</font color=red> [​IMG]

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Sweet deal!!!!

A few things:

1. The 73 D44 has the smaller u-joints and the newer models use the 297x joint. MAy want to upgrade for strength..

2. The external hubs are suposed to be weaker than the newer style...

Other than that, sweet deal and I hope I didn't burst your bubble...

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

4. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

I know the external hubs are "weaker" but I know a few people running them with 38.5 tires and have yet to break a thing. This question has been posted on the site before and many people have had good and bad with both. I also have three sets of internal 8 lug hubhousings at the shop and wanted the externals. Most people that don't know think the externals are 1 ton stuff and it just looks massivly cool. I just wanted a set to try untill the Dana 60 is done. You know just a little test. As for the axle joints I know the size but difference. Last year I installed a Dana 44 from a 1972 K5 in my 75 K5 and found out it was a bout two inches narrower in axle width. The joint are smaller and the axles are thinner. This just sucked but I wanted 3:73 gears and the 3:08 I had just didn't do it. Before I took this axle I removed the axle shafts and they are the thicker shafts and have the larger joints. I have allready replaced them so I know its not my mind playing tricks on me. The axle is from a 1973 truck and the ring gear is marked 1973. Maby it has the larger stuff because it is a 3/4 Ton truck and not half ton. I have seen a few 1973 1/2 tons at the shop with smaller joints. Gm did strange things in the Day. But yes I wanted external hubs and I have the larger axles and joints so I am still happy.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

10-4... My friend has the extnal hubs on his 71 3/4 ton 44. It has the smaller joints though. The only problems he has had with them is the dials break...(the piece you turn to lock in the hub) Ford dealers selling the dials for about $10 though...

Other than that so far so good with 35's...

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]