Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looked at it, read bottom post

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-bad-burb, Dec 15, 2006.

1. 1-bad-burb

1-bad-burb Registered Member

ok so I've had a 85 6.2 suburban that threw a rod awhile back, long story but its gone and I'm lookin for another 6.2 pwered truck, I found an 86 3/4 ton 4x4, with a 6.2, 4 speed with a granny gear 1st, and 4:10s, AC, lockouts, etc etc, says it fires right up on cold mornings and only has a little rust above the rear wheels, he sounds like a very old man (75+) and seems like I can trust him. its only about an hour away and I'm going to look at it sunday whats some quick things to check on the truck while I'm looking?? I'll also be sure to take lots of pics. hes asking $2500 OBO for it which is a VERY good price around here. i'm quite familliar with the 6.2s I'm just wondering if theres anything I havent thought of?

also can anyone calculate the RPMs at somewhere around 55-65 with a sm465 (I'm guessing direct drive fourth), 4:10s and stock(235?) size tires??

thanks in advance:D

PS: sorry if this post sounds like i wrote it in a rush, I'm excited, this trucks exactly what I've been looking for for over a month:laugh:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  2. 1-bad-burb

oh yea, and can somebody tell me the shift pattern on a sm465, I dont want to look retarded if its not on the knob lol:rolleyes:

3. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

Not sure on the diesel side of it, but the shift patern is this.
    G-2
    1-3-R
    TO get reverse go from N to the right between and past 2nd and 3rd and the go down.
    G is the low granny gear i belive 6.41 or something to that effect and it is unsyncronized. ie need to be goin about 5mph or less to engage. Mostly used for towing or grunt work.

Hope it helps, Sounds like a good deal though.
    COry

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

5. 1-bad-burb

thanks guys! that site is very handy!:D

6. 1-bad-burb

dont half to read the first half, but I'd like some input on the 2nd

dang, I'm so dissheartened, the truck was a pile, the only good points were the strong 6.2, tight rebuilt front end, and it having a 14BFF, aside from those good points its a pieced together hunk of junk, I didnt even bother taking pics, fenders, cab, hood, bed, every single piece has come off a diffrent truck and were not mounted well at all and the bed floor is completely rusted through, which he was trying to hide with a drop in bed liner:doah: also the bed sides, and one fender were rusted through,I'm pretty sure the frame was cracked at the power steering box (popping noise, deffinatly not from the axle) the sm465 was shot, it grinded in most gears, kept popping out of 3rd and the shifter had so much play it was almost impossible to know which gear you were in:rolleyes: the clucth was shot and waaay out of adjustment (engaged about 1/2" off the floor). needless to say, POS

ok rant over,

QUESTION TIME

I have to say I'm very impressed with a 6.2/manual combo, the direct torque was pretty impressive, this truck would idle up his very steep drive way in 2nd gear without even huffing, what do you all think about just finding a truck that I want with an SM465 and converting it to a 6.2? the wireing is fairly simple (would go with pushbutton glow plugs) i think I would need a diesel radiator, flywheel and fuel tank probrably a few other little things like maybe a custom throttle bracket, fuel filter setup etc etc. oh and of course the 6.2 to drop in LOL

I would realy like some input, thanks

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I hate that!..

I hate it when someone rescues a truck from the crusher ,and then puts it up for sale for high money!..I see many "500 dollar specials" around here that were about to be junked,but some entrepenuer will buy them for peanuts (or get them free for removing the "eyesore"),then proceed to fix only the bare minumum of defects to make it run long enough to sell, for an outrageous price!.. I see trucks worth less than 500 being advertised for 1500 and up every day..most of them are worth about the scrap value,IF that!..

As for a 6.2 swap,several guys here have done one,tRustyK5 is one...I'd say it would be best if you bought a truck like the "pile" you just looked at for a "donor",so you'll have the motor,tranny,and all the other goodies like the radiator and its support,wiring harness,and diesel dash cluster,gas tank,etc..

I have a junkyard here that is willing to just drop the "donor" truck off in my yard,and charge me for just the parts I used,or sometimes they will sell me the whole thing for 500 bucks or so,depending on condition,and under the assumption they'll get the "shell" back to scrap when I'm done stripping what I needed off of it..I usually end up going back and getting some parts I either forgot, or didn't work on the truck I was swapping the stuff onto though!..and I have to pay again!...:doah:

8. 1-bad-burb

yepp, thats what I was planning on, I wasnt going to use the diesel harness though, hence the pushbutton glow plugs (noone will drive my truck besides me) I found a 4 speed longbed 4x4 here in WV somewhere for 1500$ supposedly in "nice" condition (havent seen it, no pics available) but the 350 has a lifter tap and the rear main seal is bad, doesnt matter to me:D now i need to find a donor truck