Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looked at that 86 in daylight today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric W, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member

Finally got a chance to look at that 86 in day light today. Still havent driven it cause the owner wasnt home. It is a 305, I dont know if it has a 3 or 4 speed tranny (is there a way to tell?). It is black/gray color, silverado. It has fairly non-worn General Grabber 31x10.5x15 tires on it.

Anyway, few things I found, it actually has 29K miles on it, not 34K as I had originally thought. The body has some surface rust on it, one spot is the roof, the other is the hood.

It is missing a headlight and the right side bezel (no big deal I see those on ebay all the time). I plan to actually put in the "diamond cut" style headlights, so I can use H4's, and probalby those altezzas just to do it! There is a fist sized rust hole in the passenger wheel well, should be an easy fix, weld some sheet metal on and hit it with some undercoating. The lower part of the passenger side door is rusting.

Overall the underside of the truck looks like it has alot of that surface rust stuff. I think for an off-roading wheeling machine it may be perfect, its not in that great of a shape that I'd care too much about beating it up but its not a total rust bucket either. The front there is a leak, I am not sure what it is leaking, but I do not like leaky vehicles. What in the front usually leaks? It looks like it was coming from above the axle.

For the inside- the dash is cracked, most likely from sitting in the sun. The headliner is gone. I guess this is a common problem with these trucks. Nothing seems to appear leaking, although the inside smells musty and is a little dirty. Nothing a little TLC, carpet shampooing and top/doors off driving wont fix! Some misc parts are broken like the dome light lens and the passenger side trimthat goes on the door grab strap.

ON a seperate note, I was looking at this truck, it is close to me but the auction is already over $1000 with 5 days to go. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4535208292 Guess it'll be hard to find one of these in good shape without sinking a ton of $ into it, so I think this 86 might be my truck....what else should I look out for?

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Check the frame. Make sure it's straight and is not cracked near the steering box. Also if you can pull up the carpet and check the floorboards in the back. Very often where the body mounts attach to the floor in the cargo area the floorboards rot away there leaving a pair of fist sized holes. If the tailgate has an electric window make sure it works. If you can't put the window down you can't open the tailgate which can be a pain. Make sure when you test drive it you run it in 4wd so you can check the transfer case.