Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looked at the k5 today

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ericguy320, Jan 6, 2003.

1. ericguy320

ericguy320 Registered Member

well i just got back from what i can tell the windshild frame is good, a little surface rust on the ends but nothing big, on the other hand there are no rocker boxes, runs ok, has a 2 inch body lift and a suspension lift it has been painted purple. he wants 3500 for it what do ya think. here is a pic of the rockers.
    rusty rocker

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I dunno if everything else is solid I would offer him 1500 for it. I dont think I would go much higher than that maybe 2000.

3. ericguy320

he wont go much lower he keeps on saying he can get 4500 for it in ebay. i was trying to get him to throw in a 402 with it. but he wants 1000 for that

4. 72BlazerTravis

72BlazerTravis Registered Member

Rooster 84 is right I would not pay $3500 bucks. You'd just be buying a paint job. With no rocker boxes it will have rust in other places as well. $3500 is way too much in my book.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I payed $2800 for mine. They seem to go for more in SoCal then other places. Mine has a slight surface rust on every body pannel but only the outter rockers were rusting through. My rocker boxes are in just about berfect condition and the window frame has no rust. Other then a paint job it was in decient shape.

$3500 for that much rust (no telling what kind of rust they just painted over) seems a bit high....I would keep looking...you'll find something.

6. ericguy320

the sad thing is he has 2 more sitting there that he calls parts trucks that have more dents but less rust and he wont sell them /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Md mudder

Md mudder 1/2 ton status

I would definatly keep looking thats a lot of rust and I also see a bolt missing from the tcase crossmember no telling what else is missing

8. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I agree... $3500 is too much for that. I bought a rust-free daily driver (running, clean) for $2400.

If he thinks he can get that kinda cash for it on ebay, let him, you will be better off spending less and getting more.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

youd probably be replacing more than just the rocker boxes and a new paintjob over rust will just bubble and crack and fall off in a couple of years.you can get custom ones made out of square tubing to stop the body from sagging and give it better protection on rocks,but id say that is a real crappy buy and you should let him sell it to some dummy on ebay that doesnt know any better.

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Forget that guy.....

Maybe he can sell it on e-bay, but that will be someone else's problem if they paid $4500.

Those rocker boxes don't exist as a replacement part anywhere, so if you want to fix them, you'll have to build them from scratch, or pay someone to do it.

I'm with the other guys about rust....if the rockers are THAT bad, there's a lot more rust everywhere else too!!!

11. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

ok, since im new to the K5 world, I was goin to ask what the rocker boxes are gopod for, mine have rusted through and the driver's side box hangs down a little. I just put a rivet in it to hold it up there and not be seen. I did tak emy top and and when I put it back on, nothing was the same. does this mean that I need to get new rocker boxes??? from what I have read I think it does, but i just want to verify that.

12. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

sorry for all my mis spellings. I really should read this stuff over before I post it. I meant that I took my top off, and when I put it back on, things had changed (my door jams) plz give me advice on what I should do.

13. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack the thread but you should check out this thread and read about the rocker boxes. If you scroll down a bit, 71Restorod gives a great explanation of how it all works.

14. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

It all depends on how much you want a first gen. These things are so rare around here I have only seen 3 in my whole life, including my own!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Rust is pretty much a given on the east coast so I doubt you're going to find one much better. I've seen a '69 in much worse shape then the one you're looking at go for $4500 because of its rarity.

Evan

15. ericguy320

i had to go back today to look at an old camaro for a friend so i thought i would also look at the other two blazers he has. one still has the rocker boxes has some rust on it the window frame,the pass side door hits the fender ant the rear has been converted to a camper. the other one is a 69 or 70 lot of surface rust, still has rocker boxes. i also found a 59 impala convertible, 63 Lincoln continental hollywood convertible and sixty something jaguar mark I or II not sure, and a fifty something Plymouth suburban. not every day u find stuff like that, at least not me /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

16. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

Lately, k-5s have been a little low on ebay, (must be the post holiday economic crunch) so i dunno about 4500 for a rust monster...anyway, I bought mine for 2800, with solid rockers and mostly rust free, so I know there are better deals out there. it will probably involve trucking one in from somewhere like utah, nevada, or some other desert. climate(mine came from Nevada). low ball the guy, and if he doesn't like it, move on. there's my 2 cents worth...

17. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've seen much better deals than that. I would keep looking. Its cheap to do that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Brett.....

Well it sounds like you just found out the hard way what the rocker panels do!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The rocker panel is a major structural component in the 1st Gen Blazers...it is responsible for maintaining structural integrity around the door areas and to keep the truck from folding onto itself when the top is removed.

Since your rockers are wasted, the top was holding things in place for you (somewhat)....once you pulled the top off, there was nothing left to keep the body from sagging under it's own weight.

The solution is going to involve some SERIOUS repairs in the rocker box area, as well as body mounts (I'd imagine yours are pretty old and worn out). The trick will be to brace the truck temporarily to hold everything in the correct positions, while the rockers are cut out and replaced with strong metal. Once that's done, whatever bracing you've used can be removed and the doors should work equally well with the top on or off.....

I can sympathize....my truck needs SOME work in this area. TP85 and 71RestoRod (and one other name from Texas?) have done some extensive repairs in this area so you should look at some of the recent posts on the subject.

I'm going to be posting my own rocker pics soon to show some typical rocker damage....

19. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

There are quite a few Blazers in the Northwest. If your considering a rusted out truck for $4500, you should shop the west coast (especially california & Nevada) and include transportation as part of the cost. There are some nice trucks for $2000-4000 range. Check out http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/ and do a nationwide search. You'll find much better deals than what you were looking at. If you pick up a truck in better shape than that one for $2500 and pay $1000 to have it shipped, your in better shape!

20. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

You should also try Arizona. Great place for rust free
    69-72 k5.