Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lookin' for a locker/14 bolt question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, May 5, 2001.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Lookin\' for a locker/14 bolt question

Unable to decide on what to toss in the rear 10 bolt on my 84 k5, I'm considering just getting a tried and true Detroit Locker. How are these on the street? My truck see mainly street action and maybe some light off roading, but I'm looking at the Detroit for it's durability and it's overall indistructability. I don't want to swap out the 10 bolt as I don't think I'll ever be in a situation that will over stress it. Is there a Detroit for the GM 10 bolt?
    I know I said I don't want to swap out the 10 bolt, but since my local junkyard only wants $50 for GM 14 bolt axles complete, I may. BUT, I don't want to have to buy all new wheels and tires(the 14 bolt is 8 lug). Question: could you use the 14 bolt axle and carrier and swap in a 6 axle shaft so I could reuse my 15" 6 lug wheels? Does anyone make a 6 lug axle shaft for that purpose?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by NewK5Guy on 05/05/01 09:32 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: Lookin\' for a locker/14 bolt question

<font color=blue>Pick up a matching 8 lug front or convert yours, then get some 15" 8 lug wheels. Do a search for this, theres tons of info.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You cannot use any 6 lug shaft onto a 14FF. The 14FF's shafts are nothing like the 10 or 12 bolts. The FF shafts have a round drive flange which is held to the bearing hub by 8 bolts. The 10 and 12 bolts use a c-clip in the middle of the carrier to hold the shafts in. The bearing hub on the FF is what determines the lug count. On the 14FF, with the big hub protruding, it would take quite some time and money to make that a 6 lug, but I guess that could be done with a machine shop and the right equipment. You would need to make sure the big hole in the wheels are large enough to clear the bearing hub. I have never seen one of these converted to 6 lug, but have heard of other people TALK about it. Guess its easier said than done.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've seen a pic on this forum of a converted 14 FF that had 6 lug wheels...musta been spendy. I can't remember the user's name though and it was quite a while ago.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Think you could find it? I would sure like to see that pic!! [​IMG] Bet that would take some time to locate that one!

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't even know if the pic is still at the same addy...but I bet this was about 7 to 9 months ago...I might try and find it.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

7. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Yea. I just realized that a few minutes ago. Stupid me. I guess I'll just forget this for now and worry about the more immediate stuff like the body work. Still, though, it would be nice to strap on one of the cheapo 14 bolts. Even an overhaul probably wouldn't cost that much. One can dream....
    I really don't see my truck getting so off road I'd need the strength of a 14 bolt anyhow.