Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lookin' for Diff Gear suggestions....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by semper-k-five, Sep 9, 2004.

1. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

Lookin\' for Diff Gear suggestions....

I'm gonna have my 10 bolt rebuilt soon and I was thinking of changing gears in the process. I'm lookin' for a good mild gear choice for my DD. Tire size will be 33x12.50's for now. I was hoping everything would last long enough for me to begin my build up...but things are breaking ahead of sched!!! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif that note is for the folks who want to suggest axle upgrades!
    Right now it's running stock gears. Since changing the gear is the same as replacing the stock, i thought i'd take advantage of a little extra performance until i can afford to start the build.
    any suggestions would be welcome!! and thanks!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Lookin\' for Diff Gear suggestions....

33's with OD I'd say 3.73 would be about your best "compromise". This is assuming 3.73's aren't in there now. If they are, and you aren't happy, 4.10's.

Numerically lower gears will help your freeway mileage somewhat (to a point!) but will hurt acceleration, so there's a tradeoff.

For a daily driver in a pretty stock rig, that isn't going to be abused much, and you don't plan on converting to rear disks (which may not be an issue either) I say get a 14 semi-float. Better ground clearance than the 14FF, no tire change or adapters needed since they came in 6 lug versions, and they weigh less.

If you plan to abuse the truck in the future, no reason not to go with the 14FF now, and deal with the issues it presents instead of spending money on a temporary solution.

For my personal use, the 10 bolt so far is holding up, but if it breaks, the 14SF will be more than adequate with less downsides than the 14FF. Again, choice depends on use.

3. semper-k-five

coo...thanks for the response...i was thinkin of low 4's...i'm pretty sure 3.73's are in there now...i didn't check the ring gear last time i had the diff cover off...and in the future, this will be my trail/dd rig...D60 and 14FF are on the things to do list!! it sucks i have to spend the extra money right now to have the thing rebuilt...i should just bite the bullet and put in the 14FF and carry 2 spares for now...but, i'll just eat the 450 and keep strivin for the future build!!!

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

If it's time to rebuild / re-gear your 10 bolt, I would seriously consider looking for a 3/4 ton 14b F/F replacement. If you run larger-than-stock tires and like to wheel, I wouldn't waste money on a 10 bolt. The decision to upgrade gets a lot easier if you want to run a locker. A Detroit for an OPEN diff 14b f/f only runs around 350 (highly recommended)—contrast that to 500 for a strong locker for a 10b and the 14b pays for itself with the cheaper locker. Another benefit to the 14b f/f is that it is super easy to set up. It is the perfect diff for a first timer. Pricing for a 14b should be from free to $150. I wouldn't pay any more unless it already has the gears you want and it is in good, run-able condition (in that case maybe go has high as $200). You should easily be able to have a 4.10 equipped, Detroit locked 14b f/f sitting under your truck for $500 or less. You’re not going to be able to rebuild and re-gear your 10b for that much (without the locker). The only stumbling block to this upgrade is matching the front and rear lugs (I just sold a 10b 8- lug conversion for $45 w/ calipers).

Having said all that, your 10b is livable with 35” and lower tires, but it will be your weakest link.

Also, with 33s and the possibility of bigger tires in the future, I would run 4.10s if you have the 700r4 (it loves lower gears).

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would suggest at least 4.56 gears for 33s anyway. 3.73 is nowhere near enough and GM would have never geared anything that way after they realized that airplane gears in trucks was unacceptable.

6. semper-k-five

well right on....it does seem kinda pointless to spend 450 on a 10 bolt rebuild when i'm going to swap it out in a year or so anyway...the ole lady and i are gonna be house hunting soon and i've been trying to put off all of this until i was out of our apartment...i keep all my tools, compressor, ect at my buddies house and i feel uncomfortable doin to many mods in his driveway...but savin money is key!!!!!!

7. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ....after they realized that airplane gears in trucks ....

[/ QUOTE ]
    airplane gears?????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif By airpplane gears I'm assuming you mean "sky high' gear ratios....

I like the idea of running 4.56s w/ 35s, heck I run 5.13s w/ 38s and would go lower if not for the limitaions on the 14b gear ratios). I'm just not sure I'd recommend that to someone in a daily driver.

8. semper-k-five

nah...no way i'll go that low!!! things are tight for me and my family right now...and i'm lucky to do some of the upgrades i've already done...with my wifes family's off road park in arkansas, she lets me get buy with more than many folks could only dream!! she loves being a passanger on the trails!!! i just hate limitation damn it...so even though i plan to use this as my DD for many years, is still gonna be potent for when i just to bang up my sheet metal...i bought the thing for go, not for show!!!

9. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Man I feel your pain. I'm working out of an apartment now. Luckily they have full-size garages for rent here. Not big enough to put the truck in but it makes a good shop. Until I got this garage, I had my tools scattered all over my friends and relitives houses.
    You should see the looks I got though, when I swapped in the d60 in the parking lot. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. semper-k-five

i hear ya man!! my buddy get's the luxury of usin my tools for his own projects, so i don't mind leavin my truck on jack stands for extended periods of time!!! but his wife sure doesn't like it!!!

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ....after they realized that airplane gears in trucks ....

[/ QUOTE ]
    airplane gears?????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif By airpplane gears I'm assuming you mean "sky high' gear ratios....

I like the idea of running 4.56s w/ 35s, heck I run 5.13s w/ 38s and would go lower if not for the limitaions on the 14b gear ratios). I'm just not sure I'd recommend that to someone in a daily driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

By airplane gears I mean like how my '84 had 2.73 gears from the factory.

DD with overdrive, 4.56 for 33s, 4.88 for 35s, 5.13 for anything bigger.