Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lookin for some ideas

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by roostr3269, Dec 4, 2001.

1. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Jul 2, 2001
    For starters, I am running a 502 Ram Jet. I was going to go w/ 4l80e but the deal fell thru. Not sure where I am going w/ tranny, thought I wanted o/d but a lot of ppl telling me its not worth it. I have d60/14ff combo(looking for 14ff). I am having some problems in othere areas though. Gas tank, cant find 1 that will fit in my frame rails (27.50) and work w/ in tank pump for fuel injection. Radiator and fan, I would like to go elec. fan and a big radiator that will mount up, any1 know where to get 1?. For any1 running BB, anything else I might be having probs. w/ in the future? Also, I am looking to go w/ hydraulic brakes, What do i need to get for the swap from vacuum assist to hydr.? I am gonna do disc brake swap on 14ff when I get it. Thanx for any help.

live to wheel, wheel to live--1972 gmc jimmy 8 inch lift, 37" ssr's
  2. frito

frito Registered Member

Oct 17, 2001
    on the fuel pump you dont need to have an in tank pump ... it just needs to be a high pressure pump .... you can buy a pump from holley for their FI system is costs 140 bux and its in line, you can get it though summit or jegs ... you just mount it along the frame rail somewhere and put it into your metal line with short hoses and then run a return line from the FI to your tank and its easy to modify your tank to take a return line, depending on how you wanna do it often you can use one of the breather lines that are on top of your tank ... just make sure you have a breather still also you may not have to run a return line cuz i know that the Smallblock ramjet doesnt use a return line at all!
  3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Jan 17, 2001
    adapt a 31 gal tank from an 86+ blazer, with built in pump. i did the conversion a few months ago, but for a non built in pump tank. took me longer to remove the welded hitch to make room for the tank than to put the tank in. a 2" body lift will be usefull if you want the tank to ride at the same height as the original. here is a brief summary of what i did and used.

- remove rear bumper, for easier access.
    - remove hitch, if you have one.
    - remove last Xmember, use a good chissel and a BFH to get the rivits out.
    - mount the tank in so that the filler points to the passanger side. you'll be mounting the tank in backwards from the 86+ blazer you took it out of.

1- 31 gal tank/straps/skidplate
    2 - 34"x2"x1/4" steel angle
    asortement of hoses and clamps

if you need more details, PM or email me

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>
  4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Mar 6, 2001
    I'm with Frito: Use an external high-pressure fuel pump. When I do my TPI conversion I'm going with two external fuel pumps (one to feed a reservoir tank, the other to feed the injectors from the reservoir). That will help prevent fuel starvation if I ever get the thing tilted at a high angle and don't have a lot of gas in the tank.

WRT radiators, get a custom aluminum radiator from <a target="_blank" href=http://"http://www.rodneyred.com">Rodney Red</a>. I have one in my Blazer and it's really way too much radiator for the engine I'm running.