Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lookin to buy a 6.2 k5, what to look for?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by muddybuddy, May 29, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im a f'n newb when it comes to diesels:haha:

alright, now that we got that out of the way, im going to go look at a diesel jimmy this week for $600. originally i was planning on just swapping the 6.2 into my other k5, but im not sure yet.

anyway, engine wise, what do i need to look for, check for when i pop the hood on a 6.2? what bout smoke from exhust etc? thanks a bunch.

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Start it cold, and see how well it starts and idles right after it fires. It should fire up instantly for you so long as the GP system is working well, with no blue or white smoke. Get the truck warm, roll into the throttle at a good pace, and watch your mirrors for smoke. A small ammount of black smoke is acceptable, blue and white are generally not good, but can be minor issues depending on condition of IP, injectors, timing chain, and IP timing itself. If it is smoking black heavily, check the air filter. If its dirty thats probobally why its smoking. Other than that, listen for any odd noises. Try and listen through the clatter for knocking or odd rattling sounds, check and feel the oil, ask if the IP or injectors have been replaced recently, and if its over 100K see if the timing chain has been changed. Find out how often the fuel filter was changed, and if it has been recently. One other thing, after you have driven it, shut it down for a few minutes. After its been sitting for 5 minutes or so, try and start it back up. If it struggles or doesnt start, theres a good chance it needs an IP.

Go take a look at it, and if you have any specific questions just ask.

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

thanks a bunch. hopefully i can get out there and see it this weekend

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

$600???:doah:

Make sure it Runs, Starts & Stops!! After that it's all cake!:haha:

Ok, What the other guy said. I'd also figure out how close it is to what you want as in Tranny, gears, etc. Any mods and you're over what you paid for it.