Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lookin to buy a handgun

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Col_Sanders, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Was going to buy a Glock 9mm so the wife could also shoot it. I took her to the gun store and tried to get her to shoot one upstairs in the range but that didnt work out so well. She got all freaked out and said they kill people.:confused: I told her knives do too. She had nothing to say but "lets go". Lookin for something fairly inexpensive <$400 that is easy to shoot and ammunition is inexpensive so maybe someday I can get her to go to the range with me.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I think it's time You got her reeducated. Take away Her car and say sorry honey but they kill people so your SOL..................

4. Col_Sanders

She walks to work! :laugh:

I explained it all to her. She was scared of my paintball gun until I made her shoot it. Dont know if she will do it again. I told her I am going to buy a gun. I think once she sees a bear or hog while camping she wont complain about the gun. :wink1:

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The carcase of an armed home intruder riddled with bullet holes is more convincing............

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

you volunteering for the exhibition??

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Sub $400
    Cheap to shoot
    And getting her to the range to try it out

Walther P22

Definately not a 9mm though. I am eyeing a Sig 226R 40.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I would not suggest a glock for the wife, I have met very few women (especially new shooters) that like them. More important from a womans point of view is to take her out and find one that "feels good" to her, that generally means the same as for guys (fits the hand right, aims naturally etc) plus usually includes looking less "threatening" to her. A glock or similar service pistol type is going to intimidate her right off the bat just on looks(usually).

I would take her out many times and let her handle as many guns as she likes the "look" of.

Just my .02 from going through it with my wife.

9. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If she has small hands, the S&W 910 series type pistols are great. My wife has one and it fits her like me.:D

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got a Ruger P89 9mm semi auto and love it and i also have a S&W 357 model 66 revolver.

11. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Walther's are good. I would love to get a P38.

You know, a cheap .22 rifle is a good way to start showing fun and fundamentals of shooting. It's how I got my wife interested. Rifles and rounds are cheap, not intimidating, and easy. My wife is from Scotland, so was very anti-gun years ago.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

of the few guns that my wife has shot, the Glock 17 was actually her fav. Not sure why she liked it more than my H&K USP, but she does. To me, the USP is pretty much the best 9mm there is. Might sell my fullsize one w/ accessories and buy a new USPc for concealed carry. I've considered a ton of different guns, in different calibers etc... and in the end, I always come back to the USP and a 9mm as being best for me.

j

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Ruger P89 here too

14. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I got Heather interested (I think ;) ) in shooting by renting a 2" .22 revolver when I go to the shooting range with her. I tried starting her off with my .357 mag, but that didn't go too well. For an introduction gun, I recommend a .22 whether in pistol or rifle form. They're cheap and cheap to shoot.

15. Col_Sanders

Yeah, I am thinking about just picking up a .22 piston soon. They fit the bill for getting her started. My dad has had one for the longest and they are fun little guns. Got any suggestions as to getting her to shoot?

16. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Plastic milk jugs filled with water. They are so much fun to watch. For over 20 years, my mom carried an old H&R 9 shot .22 revolver. Say what you will about a .22 for defense, but I doubt anyone is going to hurt you with 5-6 hollowpoints in their chest.:eek1:

17. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Out of all my guns, my wife shoots my Ruger Single Six .22 the best. She's actually a pretty good shot, but just doesn't have much interest in shooting. I'd say if you're looking for a gun she can use for personal defense, get her a little da, snubnosed .38 spl. My sister has a S&W with a shrouded hammer and its a great gun to carry in the purse, pocket, whatever. It's also very easy to shoot. Best to keep things simple in my opinion.

18. Col_Sanders

Not so much looking for something she can carry around. Just looking for something she can shoot when I go to the range so she wont be scared of it. Also will play self defense when driving the Blazer and camping and such. My dad has always carried around an old snub nosed 38.

My dad used to sit a can down and see how long we could keep it jumping in the air with his 22 pistol. That was fun. I dont have a place around here to shoot like that though.

19. AZPiNsTrIpEd

AZPiNsTrIpEd 1/2 ton status

I love those guns!!!

20. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status