Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lookin what I got to drive today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drey, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Hehe

finally i get to drive a truck at work that has AC :laugh:

Freightliner, with a Loral FlowMax 24 ton dry fertilizer trailer. Only thing I dont like is the Eaton Super 10 transmission. I like the Eatom 13 - speeds better. But im getting into it and I like having the two top gears shift back and forth automatically:D

[​IMG]

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

That's cool. 24 tons put's you a bit over, doesn't it?

My rig has a Super 10 and I love it... it's the lazy man's transmission. :D

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

The tractor is one of the full time truck drivers in the company but its the only one with a heavy enough PTO so we used it in the fall and spring. He told me its the lazy mans transmission too, lol

They call it a 24 ton but the only way you can get 24 tons on it is if it is all potash or if its heaped up so much its hard to close the tarp. Im not sure if I would be over either. I cant thing off the top of my head what my empty weight is.

Its rare that thing gets filled up clear full. You have to get up and scoop with a shovel to get it that full. there are 4, 6 ton compartments. Sometimes I only use 2 or 3. I hauled a 5 ton load out today that was a real money maker.

What do you have for a truck Divorced

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It's a 2003 Century Class, 470 hp Detroit, Super 10, and I'm not sure what gears it has. I average just a bit over 7 mpg with it. The Super 10 is great for dropping a gear when climbing a small grade.

Here's a crappy pic of it backed into a dock with the front still in the road :yikes:

[​IMG]

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

nice. I havent tryed to drive anything with a sleeper. just day cabs, freightliner. a late 80s Ford LTL 9000. I like that truck. 13 speed, 400 cummins, straightpipe. shes a bellering sob. Then I hauled rock with a OLD pos Volvo I think rod told me it had a 350 cummins or some damn thing. Took 1 1/2 miles to hit 55. Ugh

6. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

this sits in my yard every day :)

[​IMG]

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

What? The Mexicanos?:haha: j/k

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What's the hose for?

9. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

looks like fresh asphalt

10. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Hmm, need to ask my uncle how many speeds the transmission his Mack day-cab tractor he drives has, as well as the engine stuff if he knows it. He drives for a local oil distributor so it's a tanker. He gave me a quick joyride in it one time, but that was years ago when I was younger.

11. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

so those trucks have a stick that shift itself on a couple gears? that **** must be crazy, does the shifter fly into gear or what?

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The stick stays still. The Super 10 has a unique shift pattern and requires only half of the "stick movements" of a standard 10 speed, hence the nickname "lazy man's transmission". There is a little 2 position switch on the side of the shifter handle that will shift between two gears. So you let the clutch out and start moving and rev the engine to accelerate, then flip the switch and let off the throttle. At this point it will automatically shift into the next higher gear without a stick movement. Then accelerate through that gear. Move the switch back and then move the stick for the next higher gear and so on...

The 9-10 auto gear shift will take place automatically without moving the switch on the stick. You will be driving in 9th, then the engine rpm will fall and it will shift into 10th automatically and rev back up. I find the 9-10 auto shift to be an annoyance, so I have my computer set so I have to do it manually. It's cool what can be done with the computers on these engines... set max rpm, max rpm in top gear, max mph, time limit on idleing, there's about a half dozen ways to set the jake brake to work, and many other things I can't think of right now. There are like a hundred things that can be set. My engine is set wide open on rpm and mph. I don't know how fast it goes because the speedometer runs out of numbers (90 mph speedo) :yikes: Another cool thing is that the cruise contol can be used to bump up the idle when parked... I wish pick-up trucks were like this!

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Yep thats how I run the Pto on the Trailer, just bump the idle up to about 1000 and its ready to go. So much easier then pissin around with the hand throttles in the other trucks.

I love how the Jake is set in this thing too. Tap break and it brings it down until about 7000 or i step on the go fast pedal then it shuts off, clicked to a lower gear tap the brake. So much better then the other trucks with Jakes ive driven. Only bad part about this is its governed at 1700. I never go much above 60 anyway(speed limits are 55) but would be nice to build a little more speed in the lower gears before shifting.

Say divorced sometimes when you shift to a higher gear does it take longer then usual for RPMs to drop and it to shift it. It did it to me a couple times today, I just tapped the gas quick and it dropped RPM and went into gear.

14. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Oh I was gonna ask ya...ever drove a Twin Stick Mack...oh their a joy, lol

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

A couple of our dump trucks at work have the twin sticks. I'm just glad I don't have to drive those piles. I offered to mash one of them with My excavator bucket but the boss wasn't to keen on that ideal.

16. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

we have petes and kws at work that all have 13spd eatons in them.... pff freightliners...

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Nope, I never have any big problems with mine. It does act a little screwy on a cold morning though until I drive it a couple miles.

18. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

thats prolly why its been cold these last few mornings